Mx. Granger/ Wikimedia Commons
Mx. Granger/ Wikimedia Commons

France’s €340 million investment revitalises artisan sector

Following the coronavirus concerns in business, the French government seeks to financially boost its artisan sector. The French government is currently changing the landscape for those hand-fingered crafters who are waiting for a big boost after significant losses in both monetary gains and in-person footfalls into small artisan stores which had to make ends meet this way instead of labouring on online platforms such as Etsy that are oversaturated with other creatives during the pandemic.

The suggested artisan plan will symbolise French excellence around the world

This makes devoting full-time attention to the trade extremely challenging. However, in a post-Covid scenario, this new initiative has the potential to have a significant impact and reveal the relevance of the low-key artisan sector. This shift comes following intense scrutiny of Macron’s ruling party’s programs. Macron’s chosen minister of culture, Rima Abdul Malak is leading the charge for this project. The current strategy is planned and expected to invest an estimated €340 million, which would be beneficial to people who wish to see the industry grow – the project is set to be completed by the year 2025.

The proposed tactics will aim to discover ways to create a pro-growth attitude for the arts and crafts sector, with the goal of pulling it out of the slump that has resulted from Covid-19 recurrent drains in economic trajectory and profitability. They will attempt to do this by concentrating on the participation of young people in the craft in local communities, as well as discovering innovative ways to research and make goods that will appeal to an audience that is not limited to the local area. These activities may result in a larger emphasis on online orders, culminating in the tourist industry discovering and boosting business. This could have even more significant knock-on effects on the general local economy if this were to be successful.

Malak has strengthened this claim with a hearty proposal that through this, they can “symbolize French excellence around the world.” It can create a new international image for France in the art sector as it already boasts a rich and connected history to art and tourism from travellers’ interest in the Renaissance period, which was booming in the French capital, as well as museums housing some of the great art pieces across the globe in the Louvre. Therefore, France seems to be one of the ideal localities to start to piece together a national effort to promote the arts in a refashioned way. It is clear that the sector remains greatly important for tourism, retaining local cultures, manufacturing, and industry. This provides individuals with the necessary opportunities and work to sustain their livelihoods and give back to the community.

This business is also in conjunction with the shift to more eco-friendly resource usage and manufacturing processes that supply a smaller pool of customers and, because the products are made by hand, they are not mass-produced by machines but instead remain a great tool of artistic expression offering a product that is handcrafted and unique while sourced and supplied to a smaller cohort that remains a source for enormously profitable but focused local business. These local manufacturers are greatly threatened by the efficiency of manufacturing practices that could force them out of a career. This proposal puts a halt to this. While artisan practice is often mirrored and typified with pictures of hallow-faced spindly-looking individuals attempting wood carvings of elephants and lions, the artisan business caters to food, painting, carving, and making jewellery, clothes, furniture, etc. So, you can get your fair share of wood carvings of elephants and whatever, but it is certainly not dull or limited. In fact, it’s quite the opposite.

As you will discover, it is an extraordinarily diverse and complex industry that can be enjoyed by all who appreciate the artistic expression in a paint stroke and in a bite of food, as well as the art of bringing food to our plate from those who have learned to craft such delicately and ideally a product for us to enjoy. And the sector sees many reaping benefits in purchasing products from artisans: in some cases for your own health benefits, environmental benefits in reducing the carbon footprint of products, as well as for your own savings as your poor old wallet benefits while busily purchasing processed foods and flimsy products. It’s also an incredibly profitable industry with upwards of 60,000 and “281” trades involving the increasingly bulging sector. So, this new funding could now see a complete revamp and could revitalise the artisan world’s own Renaissance in the modern day.