Image: Warwick Media Library

University of Warwick announces arrangements for rest of term following government announcement on Monday

The University of Warwick has outlined arrangements for the remainder of Term 2 and provisional plans for Term 3, following the government’s announcement on Monday. 

In an email to students, the University announced arrangements relating to teaching and learning; research activities; travel; rent waiver extension; testing; campus services; support; and looking ahead to Term 3.

Currently, MBChB, Social Work and Initial Teaching Training students can continue face-to-face teaching and learning. Some students on practical courses will resume some face-to-face teaching, alongside current online teaching from 8 March until the end of term. 

Research staff and postgraduate research students can continue in-person activities on campus if these can’t be conducted remotely. 

Students on courses that have learning outcomes that require a higher amount of face-to-face teaching before Easter will be contacted by their departments. 

All other students have been asked to remain where they are and online teaching will continue for them for the rest of Term 2. The University had outlined “exceptional circumstances” where students are permitted to travel, including: not having access to appropriate alternative accommodation or study space; for health or safety reasons or support for mental health; commuter students; researchers. 

The University has also announced an extension to the rent waiver for eligible students with on campus accommodation until midnight on 9 April 2021. The initial waiver was implemented from 9 January and was due to last until 13 February. Following the extension of lockdown, the University then extended the waiver for three weeks, until the end of week 8. 

We are really looking forward to being able to welcome all students back to campus and face-to-face teaching and learning, and safe extra-curricular and Warwick Presents activity, for Term 3

– University of Warwick, Student Communications

The rent waiver extension does not cover off-campus properties managed by Warwick Accommodation. 

For those staff and students living, studying or working on campus, asymptomatic testing is still available. The University’s own Test and Trace service is also still in operation. 

The email to students said there are no immediate changes to campus services. 

Regarding financial support, the University said that the government support fund will be allocated “to those students who it has identified through its Warwick Bursary Scheme as being from low-income households and with additional needs warranting additional financial support”. 

Looking ahead to Term 3, the email ended: “We are really looking forward to being able to welcome all students back to campus and face-to-face teaching and learning, and safe extra-curricular and Warwick Presents activity, for Term 3.

“At this stage, we can’t confirm detailed arrangements for Term 3 because we are dependent on the Government providing further information – expected after the Easter holidays. 

“It is our expectation that you will return to a blended learning model in time for Term 3, which starts on 26 April. Once we receive the guidance after Easter, we’ll review this as soon as we can, and we will email you with detailed arrangements for Term 3.”