test and trace
Image: Wikimedia commons / Ben Firsham

University of Warwick to operate its own Covid-19 “Test and Trace” system in September

The University of Warwick will operate its own Covid-19 “Test and Trace” with supervised self testing facilities in September.

The service will operate alongside the NHS Track and Trace service and is one of the set of measures announced to keep Covid-19 transmission at a minimum on campus.

The “Test and Trace” service has involved the research conducted by the Warwick Medical School (WMS), which has been working on developing Covid-19 testing kits that are low cost and produce results quickly.

Other measures include reusable face coverings and thermometers being made available to staff and students that require them, as well as the previously announced policy that face coverings will be required in indoor spaces.

The University also announced that it is “timetabling in a way that ensures that there are fewer people around campus at any one time”. 

Traffic routes on campus have also been modified to allow for “additional pedestrian and cycle spaces to allow for social distancing”.

We are working hard to fine tune and communicate these approaches and are confident that by the start of term our principles, policies and processes will help us to achieve our goal of maintaining a safe community

– University of Warwick 

Sanitising stations have been installed across all campus facilities. A new “code of conduct” will also be created to “set out expectations for staff and students to follow the University’s safety requirements”.

Staff and students that are at greater risk of developing a serious illness from contracting Covid-19 will be identified using “a widely used ‘covid-age’ assessment tool”, and will be able to access additional support and services.

Those that are forced to self-isolate on campus will “be supported and looked after”.

The announcement of the measures follows a statement made by the University and College Union (UCU) demanding that Term 1 be conducted solely online and claimed that universities will become the “care homes of the second wave”.

The University said: “We are working hard to fine tune and communicate these approaches and are confident that by the start of term our principles, policies and processes will help us to achieve our goal of maintaining a safe community.”