SNP

Former SNP minister urges end to free tuition for EU students

A former SNP minister has said free tuition fees for EU students should end from next year.

Alex Neil proposed this policy as a means of helping Scottish universities escape a “dire” financial crisis, caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

Earlier this month, the Scottish Funding Council forecasted a £500 million funding “black hole”.

The MSP, who served under both Nicola Sturgeon and Alex Salmond, said it would be “bizarre” to continue the policy once the legal obligation to fund their places ends with Brexit.

The policy currently costs £97 million per year.

Currently, Scottish and EU students are eligible for free tuition in Scottish universities. Other international students can be charged more than £30,000 per year, and those from other parts of the UK must pay up to £9,250.

These tuition fees currently help subsidise the free tuition.

The Scottish government has refused to set out a new approach to funding, missing a deadline in March.

SNP ministers have already committed to paying full course fees for EU students starting university in the 2020/21 academic year, presenting the funding as a sign of a “welcoming” approach to Europeans after the Brexit vote.

Universities are critical to our success as a county. The importance of our universities is hard to over-state

– Nicola Sturgeon

Mr Neil proposed using £10 million of the money to pay for scholarships for Scottish students to study on the continent, explaining that his stance should not be seen as “anti-Europe”.

He said: “It seems to me it would be bizarre to continue to fund new EU students when our own students can’t get into our own universities.

“There’s no doubt at all that given the crisis in funding that every penny is going to be precious over the next three or four years.

“If the money is going to be used to increase the number of Scottish students going to Scottish universities then clearly I’m in favour of that.

“It might be that over the next couple of years they might need to use some of the money to help with the shortage of funds, which would be perfectly understandable. But ministers need to clarify if that now is the policy.

“I’ve accepted it was EU law, but I’ve never accepted the logic that EU students should get preference over every other international student coming to Scotland.”

Earlier this month, introducing tuition fees for Scottish students was ruled out.

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon also stressed that institutions will need to change how they operate as restrictions are lifted.

She said: “We will continue to have close discussions with universities about what is required in the future.

“Of course, they will be expected to use their own assets and to adapt and try, as all businesses generally will have to do, to help get through this crisis.

“Universities are critical to our success as a county. The importance of our universities is hard to over-state.”