hygiene

Most student-favourite Leamington takeaways rated average or above for food hygiene

Most takeaways and restaurants in Leamington frequented by students at the University of Warwick are ranked average or above by The Times‘s food hygiene rating tool.

Restaurants and takeaways rated from one to five. (Image: The Boar)

But this is not the case for bars, the tool shows, according to data from the Food Standards Agency (FSA).

Businesses are ranked according to three inspection categories: “confidence in management”, “safety of food handling” and “cleanliness of premises”.

Analysis by The Boar found that no restaurants scored zero for “Urgent Improvement Necessary”, meaning that “immediate intervention is required to correct significant problems”.

However, some were rated one out of five and needed “major improvement” due to “numerous breaches of hygiene standards which could put a customer’s health at risk”.

These were the Anti Social and GB Fish & Chips, the latter of which is frequented by Warwick students after a night out at Smack.

Both were inspected in March this year and need “major improvement” for the category of “confidence in management”.

Kelsey’s, which was inspected in the same month, was also given a ranking of one out of five because of the management category, but also due to “cleanliness of premises”, for which improvements were recommended.

Happy Kitchen, a Chinese takeaway place, also scored one following an inspection in July as “major improvement” is needed for management as above as well as “safety of food handling”, though the premises are satisfactorily clean.

Businesses with a “very good” rating and “high” hygiene standards included Millennium Balti and Been, following inspections in 2018

While no student-favourite businesses were rated two out of five, meaning “some improvement” is necessary”, various were given a score of three, otherwise “generally satisfactory”.

Spicy Bites, Sicilian Pizza and Fizzy Moon were all inspected earlier this year and considered to be “broadly compliant”, posing “no threat to public health” but still having “room for improvement”.

King Baba and Leif Tea and Piano Room, both of which were last inspected in late 2018, were also given this score.

Meanwhile, Tuscano’s was given a “good” rating of four out of five following its last inspection in January this year, meaning that standards are “generally high” though “slight improvements” can still be made.

Businesses with a “very good” rating and “high” hygiene standards included Millennium Balti and Been, following inspections in 2018.

Vialli’s, last inspected in September this year, was also under this category, along with cafes such as Procaffeinate and Coffee Architects; clubs like Smack, Neon and Kasbah; as well as restaurants on campus.

Most businesses in Leamington have seen an improvement from their 2013 ratings.