New poll predicts incumbent victories around Warwick University

A new poll by YouGov has predicted a hung parliament in the upcoming elections, as well as suggesting the outcome of individual constituencies across the UK this afternoon.

With just over a week until the General Election, YouGov has released their most up-to-date poll that estimates the vote shares in each of the 650 constituencies.

The University of Warwick is located between two constituencies: Coventry South and Kenilworth & Southam. Additionally, thousands of students currently reside in Royal Leamington Spa, which is part of the Warwick and Leamington constituency.

Their results present an incumbent victory in all three constituencies.

YouGov has predicted a landslide victory for the Conservative candidate in Kenilworth and Southam, Jeremy Wright. According to the poll, he will amass an average of 58% of the votes, similar to his 2015 vote share of 58.4%.

In Coventry South, the predicted winner according to YouGov is Jim Cunningham of the Labour Party, with 52% of the vote. In 2015, he won with 42.3% of the votes. The Conservative candidate, Michelle Lowe, is predicted to gain 35% of the votes

For Warwick and Leamington, YouGov has predicted a narrower margin between Conservative candidate Chris White and Matt Western of the Labour Party. In their predictions, Chris White will once again take the seat, with an estimated 44% of the votes. He had previously won with 47.9% of the overall votes in the 2015 General Election.

Overall, the poll has predicted that the Conservative Party is estimated to win 311 seats, whilst the Labour Party could win 255 seats.

It is worth noting that these polls are not always accurate and cannot correctly predict the outcome of the election. They had previously predicted a hung parliament in the 2015 elections, an election in which the Conservative Party won 330 seats.

This is not the only poll to take individual constituencies into account. The Lord Ashcroft polls, for instance, say that it will be a “toss up” between the Conservatives and the Labour party in Coventry South.

The election will take place on the 8th of June between 7am and 10pm. If you have registered to vote on campus, the polling station will be at the Oculus building. More information is available here.