Cambridge students back all-vegan menus

Cambridge’s Students’ Union has voted to pressure the university to adopt all-vegan menus at central catering establishments.

72% of non-abstaining student representatives voted for the motion following a four-week-long consultation period. It was pushed by Plant-Based Universities: a campaign backed by the animal justice organisation Animal Rebellion that advocates for universities and students’ unions nationwide to adopt completely plant-based menus.

The results of the vote are not binding, as decisions as to what food is served at Cambridge’s central catering establishments are ultimately at the university’s discretion. Moreover, the motion does not apply to Cambridge’s 31 colleges – each of which provides its own dining facilities.

William Smith, a member of Plant Based Universities Cambridge, expressed his approval of the Students’ Union decision: “It’s great that Cambridge Students’ Union has passed our motion to work with the university to implement a just and sustainable plant-based catering system.

“By removing animal products from its menus, the university could significantly reduce its environmental impact and showcase to the world its commitment to sustainability.

“The University Catering Services has already made important strides, for example in 2016 when it removed beef and lamb from all its menus. We look forward to working with them on the next necessary steps.”

By removing animal products from its menus, the university could significantly reduce its environmental impact and showcase to the world its commitment to sustainability

– William Smith, Member of Plant Based Universities Cambridge

A university spokesperson noted that: “The University of Cambridge removed ruminant meat from the menu in all university catering Service cafes in 2016 and has a sustainable food policy which also seeks to actively promote plant-based options, remove unsustainable fish from the menu and reduce food waste.

“We always welcome suggestions from students and staff.”

Cambridge is not the first UK university to support all-vegan menus. In November 2022, students at the University of Stirling Student Union voted to move towards full plant-based menus at campus outlets by 2025. The success of the motions at both Cambridge and Stirling is potentially emblematic of the UK’s burgeoning vegan movement.

Last month, a motion to demand Warwick food outlets make 50% of all products vegan failed in the All Student Vote.