research misconduct
Image: The Boar / Abbey Parker

Warwick History professor guilty of research misconduct over lesbian SS camp guard claim

A Warwick History professor has had their work withdrawn after committing research misconduct over a claim that an SS camp guard had a lesbian relationship with a Jewish prisoner.

Dr Anna Hájková, Associate Professor of Modern Continental History, had previously been fined £3,675 for breaching an injunction over the same claims. 

The injunction was taken out by the daughter of the Jewish prisoner that Dr Hájková claimed had a lesbian sexual relationship with an SS camp guard.

The investigation carried out by an internal panel found that there was “insufficient evidence” to support the claim that the relationship was sexual in nature.

The panel also recommended that the journal article where the claim was made should be reviewed by Dr Hájková and a “senior academic colleague”.

The article has been temporarily withdrawn from the Oxford University Press Journal of German History.

The panel found issues with the “non-anonymous use of archives” and “potential factual inaccuracies” in the article. 

I also felt betrayed by Dr Hájková breaching her promise to me not to use my mother’s name. I hope the University and Dr Hájková will now keep their word and not spread this falsehood again

–Daughter of victim

They advised that Dr Hájková ensures that all references to the sexual relationship “are removed from the internet” and in future “make the best endeavours to contact all third parties”.

Speaking to The Boar, the daughter of the woman named in the article said: “I was motivated by my duty to protect my mother’s reputation against unfounded allegations.

“I also felt betrayed by Dr Hájková breaching her promise to me not to use my mother’s name. I hope the University and Dr Hájková will now keep their word and not spread this falsehood again.”

Dr Daniel Sokol, the daughter’s barrister from Alpha Academic Appeals, commented: “The research misconduct has had a devastating impact on my client, who has suffered from physical and psychiatric symptoms.

“We hope the university will learn from this experience and protect others from the harmful effects of unethical research.”

The University of Warwick confirmed that the recommendations made by the panel “have been accepted and implemented in their entirety” but “cannot comment further” as there are “still active processes ongoing in relation to this matter”.

The University and College Union (UCU) released a statement on behalf of Dr Hájková, which said: “The University’s processes have not yet concluded in regard to this matter, so it is not possible for Dr Hájková to comment on the case at this stage as she, unlike the complainant, is bound by the University’s confidentiality requirements.”