Image: Wikimedia Commons / Chelsea Debs
Image: Wikimedia Commons / Chelsea Debs

West Ham United: unlikely title contenders?

When the season kicked-off with a 2-0 home defeat against Newcastle, my thoughts about West Ham’s upcoming season were not exactly positive. However, things have drastically changed since that day. West Ham are now an in-form side who aren’t just winning games, they are controlling them.

So, what has changed? And are West Ham now, and I never thought I would be saying these words, title challengers?

The main reason for this remarkable upturn in form has been the club’s work in the transfer market. David Moyes, as opposed to previous managers, has signed players that West Ham truly needed. As simple as it sounds, that single-mindedness has been missing for many years in East London.

Recent signings have been game-changing. Tomas Soucek, bought for £14.5 million from Slavia Prague, has helped shore up West Ham’s midfield and is now the club’s top scorer. Vladimir Coufal, signed for just £5.4 million, has slotted in perfectly at right back. Jarrod Bowen, a winter signing from Hull City, is a potent force in attack. The Hammers look a threat going forward, as was showcased in their 3-2 victory at Crystal Palace.

The side sit fourth with 35 points in the bank

When David Moyes came back to the club at the tail-end of 2019, many were uninspired by the appointment. The Scotsman’s return seemed to showcase the Hammers’ well-documented lack of ambition. The transformation since has been remarkable. Last season, West Ham secured 39 points. This year, the side sit fourth with 35 points in the bank.

Perhaps even more importantly, West Ham’s style of play has improved greatly. Despite routinely losing the possession battle, Moyes’ men have used the ball well this year.

There is, however, concern about West Ham’s lack of depth in attack. Michail Antonio is the club’s only first-team striker. To compensate, though, Moyes has a wealth of attacking midfielders at his disposal. Following Jesse Lingard’s arrival on loan, it will be difficult to predict West Ham’s starting line-up. Moyes has so many options.

Only Leicester City and the Manchester clubs have won more often

The results West Ham have achieved this season have been highly impressive, only Leicester City and the Manchester clubs have won more often in the Premier League. It has been a month since West Ham last fell to defeat: progress has been made.

This is a team in form who will feel that they can make a real challenge at the top, it’s little wonder that the mood in East London has improved.

West Ham have also been lucky with injuries, although that tends to be the case for teams in the top six. In a season of many upsets (Sheffield United’s victory against league-leading Manchester United springs to mind), West Ham are in a wonderful position.

Leicester won a historic title in 2016, could 2021 be the year of David Moyes’ West Ham?