Image: Wikimedia Commons / Michal Osmenda

French universities struggling to contain the coronavirus pandemic

Coronavirus cases are beginning to rise again in France, with many arguing the reopening of French universities is to blame.

At least 12 clusters of Covid-19 have arisen since French campuses and classrooms reopened in September, according to The Independent.

Elise Gilbert, who studies Literature at the Sorbonne, stated that students “go back to university in conditions that are a bit extreme, and we fear we might get Covid-19”.

France’s experience differs from the UK, where university changes mean many lectures will take place online, with Germany and Italy also adapting their approaches.

The French government has urged individuals to return to the classroom to reduce educational inequalities and encouraged workers to “learn to live with the virus”.

This means face masks will be mandatory at all times, with physical distancing impossible at many places.

[The university doesn’t] have any more teachers, we don’t have any more space, so we basically have to teach as best we can

– Franziska Heimberger, university teacher 

Students on social media have described situations where individuals are unable to wash their hands and rooms aren’t being disinfected between lectures.

Franziska Heimburger, assistant director of the Sorbonne’s English department, stated that the university doesn’t “have any more teachers, we don’t have any more space, so we basically have to teach as best we can”.

The French government, like the UK government, has blamed the increase in cases on students as the number of students enrolled jumped by 270,000 to 2.8 million.

Some French universities, however, have had to shut completely as dozens of students testing positive, with teaching being moved entirely online.

In Germany, most universities don’t begin lectures until October, with many social distancing rules including the banning of student parties.

In Italy, universities are reopening with distanced learning, with priority for physical teaching being given to first year students.

Meanwhile, in the United States, universities have emerged as virus hot spots, because of cramped dorm halls and off-campus parties.