Covid-19 appeal
Image: Wikimedia commons / Rwendland

University of Warwick launches a COVID-19 student support appeal

The University of Warwick has created a support appeal aimed at helping low income students affected by COVID-19.

The aim of the appeal, as stated on the donations page, is: “To help students who, for whatever reason, do not have family or financial support.”

The appeal has currently raised £20,000 and is due to end on 18 June.

The money raised by the appeal will target three specific groups of students.

The first group are students who are leaving school or college this summer and joining the University in the next academic year. The appeal states: “We want to increase our provision of scholarships and ensure as many students as possible can continue their education.”

Students from Warwick Medical School (WMS) that volunteered to work for the NHS to help with increased demand due to COVID-19 will also receive funds from the appeal.

These students will be faced with “an intense period of catch-up with academic work” and “will inevitably face financial hardship as part-time work will not be possible”, the appeal explains.

We are delighted to thank all those who have generously contributed to date, including many from our Warwick alumni community who passionately care about current Warwick students and are a greatly valued part of our community

– University of Warwick

The final group of students to receive support from the appeal are current Warwick students who do not have a “financial safety net”.

The appeal explains that “these may be students who are unable to access a laptop to complete assessments, or who are struggling with living costs due to being in privately rented accommodation”.

Current Warwick students had until 6 May to request a deferral due to not having access to a laptop or computer to complete the online assessments made to replace in person exams.

A group of Warwick students have also organised a rent strike for those currently renting private student accommodation.

Warwick alumni have been contacted by email by the University asking for their support for the appeal.

In a statement sent to The Boar, the University said: “The funds raised will be used to support students starting in the forthcoming academic year through scholarships, WMS students currently working on the NHS frontline and to provide provide financial assistance via the existing Hardship and Widening Participation schemes.

“We are delighted to thank all those who have generously contributed to date, including many from our Warwick alumni community who passionately care about current Warwick students and are a greatly valued part of our community.”