Christmas/ Image: Unsplash

Accepting that Christmas might not be perfect

Conventional wisdom agrees that the festive season has arrived. As we crack open the first doors of our advent calendars, it becomes official: Christmas is well and truly here. All the shops have festive displays, Christmas music is everywhere and the thought of presents is on everyone’s mind. Halloween is long gone, the John Lewis advert has burst onto our screens and so the time that dominates each year is upon us.

Though I personally begin my Christmas celebrations far earlier than most, it is wonderful to see that others are – at last – getting into the spirit of winter.

The complete and utter commercialisation of Christmas is something I could do without

Yet even I cannot help but admit that the festive period isn’t perfect. Brilliant it may be, but perfect it is not. The complete and utter commercialisation of Christmas is something I could do without.

The festive season involves rather a lot of cooking, which, though I love Christmas dinner, means I rely on others with greater culinary abilities. And the days after Christmas are usually slightly anticlimactic – leftovers to enjoy over the next century, but the sense of closure and loss for another year.

Christmas Eve brings excitement and festivity. Once the final present wrapping has been done, there is just enough time to relax and unwind before the big day itself.

Go for a walk and enjoy the local area – it will be peaceful with everyone huddled around their dinner tables

I usually find the day immensely enjoyable – a light breakfast, followed by initial present opening with my immediate family and the short car journey to see my extended family. We will chat, laugh, drink, and celebrate, all while waiting for the joy of Christmas dinner.

Yet for many people that can be the trickiest part. There is certainly somewhat of a lull between our arrival and the food being ready. For people whose families don’t see one another often, this can obviously be concerning and challenging. I am very lucky that, while every family has disputes, an absence of conversation is certainly not something to worry about on my Christmas Day.

Following the utter heaven of our festive feast comes more presents, laughs, arguments, occasionally the Queen’s Speech, and then steady unwinding, perhaps watching the BBC One Christmas specials.

If you want to escape from the stress of organising a big Christmas event, perhaps decide not to host this year.

After the meal, that’s it. I’m not ungrateful whatsoever, but recognise, with a lot of people, that lull between eating Turkey and saying goodbye can be an occasion for uncomfortable situations. For people that find this time tricky, go outside. Go for a walk and enjoy the local area – it will be peaceful with everyone huddled around their dinner tables. Embrace nature while everyone else is indoors.

This is something so therapeutic, so calming and relaxing to cherish and appreciate, on Christmas Day. At this one time of peace and quiet, people are no longer rushing to work or their next destination. Everything has slowed down. People aren’t working, but celebrating together.

But celebrations aren’t always easy. People may find hosting Christmas to be particularly stressful. If you want to escape from the stress of organising a big Christmas event, perhaps decide not to host this year.

Indeed, you don’t have to attend a family celebration at all. Why not go away for Christmas? Stay at a lovely little hotel with the immediate family and enjoy being served during the Christmas season.

We do need to remember that not everyone is lucky enough to be surrounded by family and friends on Christmas Day

It would be a great way to de-stress and celebrate something different. It would certainly be a change from the Christmas films and mass of people around on that big day.

We do need to remember that not everyone is lucky enough to be surrounded by family and friends at this time of year. Whether by choice, relatives living too far away or social isolation, sometimes the only company that someone will have is the radio or the endless hours of Christmas specials on the television.

If celebrating with family feels too overwhelming, or you are worried about being alone, why not get in the festive spirit and give something back to society? Volunteer at a local community group, homeless shelter or retirement home. Help those who are most vulnerable and in need of interaction on Christmas Day.

It could be as simple as knocking on a neighbour’s door or someone you know is alone this Christmas. Again, it’s a way of getting out of the house and checking up on someone. You’ll never be so appreciated and welcomed.