ambassador scheme
Image: Warwick Media Library

Warwick Students’ Union launches hate crime-reporting ambassador scheme

The Students’ Union (SU) at the University of Warwick has launched a new hate crime-reporting ambassador scheme to train students in helping peers who have experienced hate incidents, sexual violence, and other offences.

According to the SU, a hate incident is “any incident which is perceived by the victim (or any other person) to be motivated by prejudice against someone’s sex, racial heritage, religion, disability, sexual orientation or trans identity.”

Training will be on Wednesday 2 October of Term 1, Week 1, from 2:00pm in Meeting Room 2 of the SU’s headquarters.

The course, to last one and half hours, will cover topics such as how to “respond to a disclosure” from their peers regarding issues such as hate crime and how to “support someone if they wish to formally report a hate crime or hate incident”.

These sessions will be covered by SU facilitators and West Midlands Police respectively.

“We know that it is often easier for a victim of hate crime to seek support from their peers, so we’re offering training for anyone who would like to understand how to best support someone who has experienced hate crime or incidents of hate,” the union explained.

Students are advised to contact Campaigns and Liberation Adviser Sam Parr to confirm their attendance. Further information on the SU’s initiatives against hate crime can be found in their Tackle Hate campaign.

We know that it is often easier for a victim of hate crime to seek support from their peers, so we’re offering training for anyone who would like to understand how to best support someone who has experienced hate crime or incidents of hate

– Warwick SU

The ambassador scheme comes after Chinese students from Warwick living in Canley experienced a “spate of attacks”, leading to increased security provided by the University including a special off-campus shuttle bus service.

On 1 September, the union also announced that they will be trialling a new community space for LGBTUA+ students at Rootes Flexigrid, on the first floor of Rootes Building.

The space will be reserved for “exclusive use of the LGBTUA+ community” for every Monday of Term 1, from 9:00am-9:00pm. It will be used for “informal meetings and organised events”.

This initiative was launched after it was found that “LGBTUA+ students felt unsupported by the lack of space for the LGBTUA+ community to meet, socialise and organise on the university campus”.

The report recommended creating a permanent space for the community on campus.

Warwick SU and West Midlands Police have been contacted for comment.