The perfect romantic getaway

What makes the perfect romantic getaway?

With so much pressure from social media to have the most romantic (and Instagram worthy) getaway, it creates extremely high expectations. Images of candle-lit dinners with champagne and roses in the heart of Paris are what spring to mind when thinking of a romantic getaway. But does it have to be so nauseatingly cliché? Why not step away from the stereotype and make the unromantic, romantic?

For someone like me, whose partner cannot stand any form of cringe, it has been necessary for us to find romance in unsuspecting places. Combined with our shared love of visiting new places, we decided that short breaks away together were the best place to start. Why? It means you can explore a variety of new places, whilst also being much easier to organise and much kinder on your bank balance (now that’s what I call romance!). Most importantly though, it stops you from undoubtedly getting on each other’s nerves because you have spent too much time together. After all, an argument will never help a getaway be romantic!

Although not notoriously known for being the city of love, when we were guzzling down our pint of Guinness in the Guinness factory, we were still unbelievably happy

During our relationship, my partner and I have taken quite a few short getaways together. Most recently we took a quick trip to Dublin. Although not notoriously known for being the city of love, when we were guzzling down our pint of Guinness in the Guinness factory, we were still unbelievably happy. Similarly to when we nearly caught frostbite in Whitby over New Years’, or when we were beer tasting in Brussels. None of these things sound particularly romantic, but one thing they do all have in common is that we really enjoyed our time together. And after all, isn’t that what romance should be all about? Having a laugh with the person you love?

Our itinerary includes some places to sight-see, to get our culture fix, some beach places for us to get our much-needed relaxation, and even a few places that will be quite romantic too

After dipping our toes in the water with our small city breaks, this year we’ve decided to take the plunge and we’re going on a much longer holiday together. The short getaways have broken us in nicely, because now we know what the other likes to do during their time away, making it much easier to plan. Nevertheless, if your partner is as unorganised as mine, and the planning does fall all onto you, then it can be quite stressful (be warned). Really though, I have relished the opportunity to organise most of the trip on my own. I’ve been able to mix a good combination of what we both enjoy doing. Our itinerary includes some places to sight-see, to get our culture fix, some beach places for us to get our much-needed relaxation, and even a few places that will be quite romantic too!

After all, romance is what you make of it, so just enjoy being away together and really that should be enough

Overall, it really doesn’t matter where you go or what you do on your getaway with your partner. If you both enjoy the stereotypical romantic trips, then go with that, but if the clichés aren’t for you, then that’s perfectly fine as well. After all, romance is what you make of it, so just enjoy being away together and really that should be enough.