Staycation: the best holiday destinations in the United Kingdom

In a bygone era, a holiday for the Brits was limited to a trip to the local seaside, for a ride on a donkey and a meal of fish and chips. However, the rapid growth in air travel and the introduction of the package holiday made holidaying abroad become more accessible to all. People began to swap out their UK holiday for a trip to the continent instead.

Nevertheless, as holiday prices skyrocket during the summer time, more people are turning back to their old ways and taking domestic holidays once again. So, here are a few suggestions of mine for places to holiday this summer within the UK.

When the English weather behaves itself and the sun finally shines, it is hard to tell the difference between the beaches of Devon to those of Spain

For those who are still yearning for that beach holiday, Devon is the place for you. When the English weather behaves itself and the sun finally shines, it is hard to tell the difference between the beaches of Devon to those of Spain. There are countless beaches to choose from that offer soft sand and clear waters (although a bit chillier than the foreign seas). This is a great alternative to an abroad beach holiday, yet closer to home, so without the expense of pricey summer flights.

The adventurous amongst us will appreciate what Snowdonia has to offer. There is the National Park, home to the Snowdon Mountain, which provides a great challenge and a fun day out without costing a single penny. Nearby at Penrhyn Quarry, the world’s fastest zipline can be found. This is certainly not for the faint-hearted and is a little bit pricey, but for those brave enough to take it on, it will be worth every penny!

For all the seafood lovers out there, a visit to Whitby is a must. Not only is it home to some of the best fish and chips the UK has to offer, but there are also endless seafood restaurants to choose from that cater to a range of budgets, meaning that the fresh catches of the day can be enjoyed without worry. Moreover, the town is quaint, with a variety of shops to explore, whilst a trip to the famous abbey provides stunning coastal views.

With a range of things to occupy your time, Norfolk is a great place to holiday this summer. Your desire for a seaside break can be satisfied with a range of beaches to choose from, such as Hunstanton or Wells-next-the-Sea. Norfolk also boasts the man-made phenomenon of the Broads. This will provide the opportunity to do something different and take to the waters for a bit of boating, with several places to be able to hire from.

Glamping provides a more luxurious version of a back to nature getaway without the hassle of camping

Although this suggestion is not a specific location, the glamping pod holiday is a great new trend. It provides a more luxurious version of a back to nature getaway without the hassle of camping. There will be no bad backs from sleeping on the floor or floods from leaky tents! These pods can be found from the very North of Scotland all the way down to Cornwall in the South of England, so there is bound to be a place to suit your needs.