What is the perfect holiday?

What makes the perfect holiday?

Holidays, we all love them, but what actually is a ‘holiday’? The Oxford Dictionary definition is ‘an extended period of leisure and recreation, especially one spent away from home or in travelling.’ So, nothing is excluded from being the text-book definition of a holiday. For many, the term brings to mind endless stretches of sandy, white beach with calm, crystal blue waters. But for others, sunbathing all day could not be further from their idea of a holiday. Swapping out the sun loungers and swimming pools for hiking boots and a map, with the need for a jam-packed itinerary to keep them occupied at all times of the day, may be more ideal.

The perfect holiday is found in a combination of the two, with some relaxation mixed with some adventure, everybody is satisfied

Others look forward to being rewarded and taking a week or two each year away from the high-stress lives they lead for some self-care and relaxation. With an array of all-inclusive hotels around the world, the worries of day-to-day life can be truly left at home. Open bars and copious amounts of delicious foods allow for full indulgence. The sunny climate of foreign lands, and the lack of in England, entices many to travel abroad and make the most of the warm weather by sunbathing all day, ensuring that all their friends and families will be totally envious of their perfect tans. However, by doing this, are we not missing out on what a place really has to offer? After all, a hotel is a hotel, regardless of where it is.

However, by doing this, are we not missing out on what a place really has to offer? After all, a hotel is a hotel, regardless of where it is

That’s why for many, a holiday is not complete without exploring the area. Those with itchy feet among us seek to find the treasures of the area, be it man-made or natural beauty. For lovers of history, sightseeing is a must. With the secrets of the past often embedded in the architecture, much is to be learned by walking the streets. The adrenaline junkies find great pleasure in climbing the mountains or sailing the seas, needing to immerse themselves in the wild wonders. Yet a busy holiday schedule can often lead to feeling like another holiday is needed to recover from the previous one. Is this what a holiday should really be like?

You can broaden your horizons by not ignoring the beauty of a place and taking some time to immerse yourself in the culture, or some time to visit the natural wonders so that you are not ignorant to the beauty that lies outside the hotel walls

Therefore, perhaps the perfect holiday is found in a combination of the two. With some relaxation mixed with some adventure, everybody is satisfied. You can broaden your horizons by not ignoring the beauty of a place and taking some time to immerse yourself in the culture, or some time to visit the natural wonders so that you are not ignorant to the beauty that lies outside the hotel walls. The other half of the holiday can provide the time for some much needed and much deserved relaxation. So that when you return home you feel well rested and revitalised, ready to take on the challenges of the daily grind once again.

So, in answer to the question of ‘what is a perfect holiday?’, it can be anything and anywhere you want it to be. Every person is different and so everyone seeks pleasure in different things. Yet we should try to make a conscious effort to open our eyes to what a place has on offer, outside of the hotel facilities, whilst also remembering to take some time to recuperate ourselves too.