What are the benefits of travel on mental health?

Often when we feel stressed, we think of beaches, calming oceans and warm weather. Unsurprisingly, research seems to suggest that travel, or even planning a holiday, is a fantastic way to increase happiness and improve mental well-being.

buying experiences can be seen as a better way to guarantee longer term satisfaction

For some, short-term purchases can appear to increase happiness. However, in a study conducted at Cornell University in 2010, it was revealed that many end up reflecting upon their purchases and regretting them. On the other hand, buying experiences can be seen as a better way to guarantee longer term satisfaction. With new trends constantly coming up, our purchases are less likely to have a long-term positive associations.

These experiential purchases are more likely to reduce stress by giving us the chance to look forward to something. As exciting as waiting for that ASOS order can be, once the clothes have been worn a few times, we might not be as happy as we could have been spending that money on a day trip or weekend away.

those who took time away from home had statistically happier moods

Even whilst on holiday, we are able to improve our well-being. In research comparing British tourists to non-holiday makers, those who took time away from home had statistically happier moods. Those waiting to go on holiday also experienced these positive mental attributes, coupled with feelings of a better economic situation and family life.

Taking time away from our surroundings also allows us to appreciate what we have by creating more frequent feelings of gratitude. After a holiday, we are also more likely to reminisce about the new experiences we have had. This can encourage us to try new things at home and make positive changes to evoke those same feelings of calmness that we had whilst away.

So, could it be worth taking a revision break to book a post-exam holiday? The procrastination could lead to reduced stress in the run up to exams, whilst giving you something to look forward to when they are over!