Image: Warwick Media Library

One in five students would rather live in Rootes

A survey by the Boar found that one in five students would rather live in Rootes, making it the most popular student accommodation block on campus. 

The poll, which compared the opinions of over 230 students, found that 35% of students prioritised having access to an en-suite bathroom above any other factor, while just over half believed their halls were good value for money.

The biggest complaints were messy common areas, distance from central campus and antisocial environments; over a third of students experienced issues or were unsatisfied with their flatmate situation.

While 37% of respondents received warnings over mess or noise from their residential life team, only a few received fines. Reasons included first-aid (after nights out), dart holes in the wall, setting off the fire alarm and leaving birthday candles near an open stove.

After Rootes, the most popular halls were Bluebell and Sherbourne, closely followed by Jack Martin and Arthur Vick. Nearly four-fifths of students were placed in their first choice of halls.

While overall, most students were satisfied with their location and the condition of their building, one student commented: “There’s a major issue with noise in undergraduate accommodation, and I wasn’t warned about it sufficiently before choosing to live on campus.”

“I think that rather than just having quiet corridors —which aren’t too effective because the walls are so thin— the University should allocate whole buildings for people who aren’t into partying in their halls.”

Earlier this summer, both Rootes and Bluebell were ranked in the nation’s top 50 student halls according to the Times Higher Education.

Image: Warwick Media Library

Arthur Vick: £161 per week, en-suite

The top priorities for those living in Arthur Vick were en-suite bathrooms and friendly housemates, while the most widespread complaints were poor internet connection and antisocial flatmates.

Over half of students polled stated the standards met their expectations with regard to the cost. While all were happy with the building conditions and location, only 54% claimed to be satisfied with their flatmate situation.

Just over half received warnings for noise or mess, while 45% said they would return to Arthur Vick if they could choose again.

Over two thirds are planning to live with flatmates next year, while over half are expecting to pay less for off-campus accommodation next academic year.

Bluebell: £176 per week, en-suite

All respondents living in Bluebell, who listed en-suite bathrooms as an overwhelming priority, chose the block as their first choice.

While they were overall satisfied with the building conditions and central campus location, less than half thought it was good value for money. The biggest issue for half of Bluebell residents was antisocial flatmates, with only one third planning to continue living with their neighbours from last year.

While 83% said they would return Bluebell if they were making the choice again, two-fifths are expecting to pay less for their off-campus accommodation next year.

Claycroft: £121 per week, shared bathrooms

The most important factors for those living in Claycroft were en-suite bathrooms and proximity to classes. The first choice for two-thirds of residents, the halls have one bathrooms for every two students and are located between the Sports Centre and Tesco in Cannon Park.

Only one in six respondents were unhappy with their flatmate situation, while overall students were satisfied with the condition of the buildings and location.

Half of residents said they would return to Claycroft if they could choose again, with two-thirds planning to live with their former flatmates next year. Over 30% expect to shell out more money on rent off-campus.

Image: Warwick Media Library

Cryfield: £80 per week, shared bathrooms

One of the least expensive halls on campus, three-quarters of respondents who lived in Claycroft listed cheap rent as the most important factor when choosing their accommodation.

Students responded overwhelmingly that the halls were good value for money, with 63% stating they would go back if they were choosing again, being satisfied with both the building conditions and location near the Students’ Union.

Just over a third had issues with flatmates but worked through them, while nearly 88% are planning to live with former hallmates in the coming academic year. Nearly all respondents expect to pay more off-campus.

A first-year student commented: “I loved my time at Cryfield. It was my fifth choice but now I’d love to live there again!”

Image: Warwick Media Library

Heronbank: £140 per week, en-suite

Three-quarters of students who spent the last academic year in Heronbank listed the halls as their first choice and prioritised access to an en-suite bathroom above other factors.

As it is one of the furthest blocks from campus, located between Lakeside and the tennis courts, half of respondents cited distance from classes and central campus as the biggest problem, while other issues included bad wifi and messy neighbours.

Though under half believed the halls were good value for money, 42% said they would return if they could choose again.

Nearly 60% of respondents will be leaving their hallmates to live with friends or strangers, while two-thirds expect to spend less on housing this year.

Jack Martin: £157 per week, en-suite

Over 90% of students placed in Jack Martin, one of the most central halls, listed it as their first choice, with the top priorities being en-suite bathrooms, central location and friendly hall mates.

The top complaints were price and issues with flatmates, while some students reported issues with maintenance and lack of fridge space, with some kitchens sharing one fridge between thirteen people.

However, less than a fifth of respondents belived the accommodation were bad value for money, and nearly 73% stated they would choose Jack Martin again.

Just under half are continuing to live with their flatmates from last year, while the majority expect to pay less for their off-campus living.

A first-year resident commented: “Maintenance were obscure. Took less than a day to replace the kettle and half a term to fix the oven.”

Another added: “I was paying roughly £30 more than my friends at other universities for the same thing; Warwick Accommodation prices —especially for the en suite accommodations— are through the roof and ridiculous, you’d think the Uni was in London, looking at the prices we pay.”

Image: Warwick Media Library

Lakeside: £138 per week, en-suite

All respondents who lived in Lakeside last year listed the halls as their first choice, while top priorities included en-suite bathrooms, peace and quiet and friendly flatmates. Half of residents complained that the halls were too far, while others said they were too quiet and expensive.

Just half of Lakeside residents reposted being satisfied overall with their flatmate situation, with one third going on to live with students from their halls.

Two thirds of students said they would return to Lakeside if they were choosing again, and expect to pay about the same price off-campus.

A student commented: “Lakeside village is a bit isolated. There could be more services such as a leisure centre and a corner shop.”

The accommodation block is located just behind Warwick Business School and the University’s new conference centre, The Slate.

Redfern: £97 per week, shared bathrooms

Although Redfern was not a popular first choice with incoming students, the majority of students were satisfied with their flatmate situation.

Students complained of antisocial environments, dampness and small kitchens, and only one third believed the block was good value for money.

Over 60% of those living halls, which are located between Bluebell and the Sports Pavilion, plan to continue living together this year.

If they could choose again, respondents preferred to return to Lakeside, Tocil or Arthur Vick.

Image: Warwick Media Library

Rootes: £99 per week, shared bathrooms

The most popular halls on campus, with a reputation for wild nights, Rootes is split into new and old blocks situated just behind the Students’ Union.

The biggest priorities for students living in Rootes were friendly hallmates, good nightlife and a cheap rent. Meanwhile, over half cited bad wifi as the biggest issue, alongside messy common areas and too much noise.

45% of respondents, more than any other block, received warnings from the residential life team over mess and noise.

Nearly three-quarters of students were happy with their flatmates, while nearly two-thirds will continue to live together off-campus, where they expect to spend more on rent and bills.

69% would choose to live in Rootes again.

A first-year student said: “It would have been nice to have had a choice between old and new Rootes when applying, and the prices probably should have been different since new Rootes was in much better condition than old.”

Another added: “I think I would have liked Rootes if my kitchen wasn’t so damn messy. We’re talking unidentifiable puddles, stains, lumps of what I presumed to be chicken.”

“Not the fault of the accommodation, rather the fault of a few people, but a fault nonetheless.”

Sherbourne: £151 per week, en-suite

The newest, and one of the priciest blocks on campus, Sherbourne landed in the top three most popular accommodation blocks for students to go back to, after Rootes and Bluebell.

92% of incoming students listed the halls as their fist choice, prioritising en-suite bathrooms and friendly hallmates.

The majority of students were satisfied with the value of their accommodation and nearly 60% said they would choose to live in Sherbourne again.

One third will continue to live with their former flatmates, while just over half expect to pay less rent off-campus.

Tocil: £110 per week, shared bathrooms

While just two-thirds listed Tocil as their first choice accommodation block, 78% of students who lived there last year believed it was good value for money and would choose the halls again.

While nearly all respondents were happy with their hallmate situation, only 22% will be sharing a house this coming year.

A fifth of respondents believed the halls were too expensive, while others complained about antisocial neighbours and messy kitchens. However, over half expect to pay about the same off-campus this coming year.

The top priorities for those living in Tocil were friendly flatmates and proximity to central campus.

A former Tocil resident commented: “Accommodation was good, living on campus was convenient and I was incredibly lucky with my flat mates!”

“It was expensive, but I’ve come to expect that and the alarm testing was the absolute worst.”

Image: Rwendland / Wikicommons

Westwood: £105 per week, shared bathrooms

The first choice for only 11% of respondents, students living in Westwood prioritised cheap rent and friendly flatmates.

Over half of residents were unhappy with the location, with two-thirds listing it as their biggest problem with the accommodation. Other complaints included messy kitchens and a wasp infestation.

The majority, nearly 78% of those living in Westwood, were satisfied with their flatmate situation, while the others who had issues eventually worked through them.

Nearly 90% are staying with former flatmates off-campus, where the majority expect to pay the same or less.

One third said they would choose Westwood again, with one student commenting: “Westwood is bestwood.”

Whitefields: £84 per week, shared bathrooms

Popular with international students, Whitefields is a series of tiny brick houses situated in the centre of campus between the Students’ Union and Health Centre.

Top priorities for those living there was cheap rent and proximity to classes, while the biggest complaint was damp or mould.

Approximately half of respondents were unsatisfied with the condition of the housing, while two thirds were happy with their housemates and the rest eventually resolved their issues.

38% reported receiving warnings over messy kitchens, while one student complained that, “it was just so old, things kept breaking; floor had a hole in that went down two feet, or no boiler for 6 weeks.”

Over half believed the accommodation was good value for their money, while three-quarters expect to be spending more this academic year.