Image: Aotaro/ Flickr

What TV character should you dress up as this Halloween?

Our writers tell us which TV characters you should channel for Halloween

Image: Genevieve / Flickr

The cast of New Girl

Anyone who knows me, knows how much I love dressing up. I got to strut about as Queen B for my 21st, (Blair Waldorf for all you who have sadly missed out on the joy of Gossip Girl) and my amazing friends were the cast of FRIENDS. However, why not consider costumes that reflect everyday life in with a twist? I’m living with male course friends and all their loveable eccentricities, so a New Girl inspired costume would be perfect. Forget the couples costume, everyone loves to find their equivalent in an ensemble cast. My singing is closer to a strangled cat rather than Zooey Deschanel’s voice, so it’s ideal for scaring people. Speaking of cats, Winston would win against any witch costume when accessorised with a teddy Ferguson. Although I think a Schmidt-inspired kimono would be too much. Regardless, the loft antics of this close-knit group of friends would be an oddly accurate reflection of the truth…and I wouldn’t mind a game of ‘True American’.

Daljinder Johal

A from Pretty Little Liars

18353942536_d4142f9be1_o

Image: Television Streaming / Flickr

As a millennial, what is more terrifying than being cyber-stalked by a bitchy, anonymous villain who threatens to ruin your entire teen existence? This is why dressing as A from Pretty Little Liars is an incredibly viable option this Halloween.
“But how does one dress as A?” I hear you ask. “After 7 years, hundreds of texts, and too many ridiculous plot twists, no one even knows who A is yet”. Well, that’s the beauty: all you need is a classic black hoodie and black trousers. And to make it super obvious, just have a big, capital red A stamped on the back of your jumper. This outfit works especially well if you’re lazy and can’t be bothered shopping for an actual outfit. To all the minimalists out there: A should be your go-to costume this Halloween.

Gerard Jones

Eleven from Stranger Things

Image: Television Streaming / Flickr

Image: Television Streaming / Flickr

Everyone who’s watched Netflix’s Stranger Things knows how cool Eleven is. With the telekinetic powers that we all wish we had when the TV remote is just a too far to reach, Eleven, or El, is already enviably impressive. And, let’s face it, nobody can pull off that blonde wig and pink dress quite like she can. If the series woke up your inner 80s geek and you lived for its sneaky references to 80s films, dressing as one of the main characters might work for you. You could even rope your friends into dressing as Mike, Lucas, Dustin, or even Barb, to really pay homage to the show. As a character who has very few lines but makes her presence known, dressing as Eleven will give you the perfect excuse to simply sit and eat a packet of waffles (or Eggos if you can find them) while everyone admires your costume if you’re not one for Halloween parties. So throw on a pink dress, grab your Eggos and impress all the “mouth breathers” with your costume this year.

Beth Thomas