Photo: Perdie Bargh

BREAKING: Sexist annotations found in library book

More derogatory annotations have been found in a book in Warwick Library, this time of a sexist nature.

This follows the finding of anti-Semitic annotations in a Warwick Library book on 3 May, making it the second incident of its kind in less than a week.

This time, the notes were made in the book This Bridge Called Back: Writing by Radical Women of Color. They include telling one author, writing on third-world women, to “bugger off”.

“Lies another woman in her habitat” Image: Perdie Bargh

Another piece called “I Came with No Illusions” is followed by: “Just arrive here on Earth to suck dick”.

Next to one piece of writing entitled “Across the Kitchen Table” came the annotation: “Lies another woman in her habitat”, insinuating that women belong in the kitchen.

The annotations were found by Perdie Bargh, an English and Film finalist. She commented: “I find it shocking and unacceptable.”

It’s depressing to see vandalism of books, particularly in a university where they are meant to be respected and revered tools. It’s several orders of magnitude even more depressing for it to be offensive vandalism of this type.

Peter Dunn, Director of Press and Policy

Peter Dunn, Director of Press and Policy for the university, responded: “It’s depressing to see vandalism of books, particularly in a university where they are meant to be respected and revered tools.

“It’s several orders of magnitude even more depressing for it to be offensive vandalism of this type. The library will investigate when the book is returned.”

He finished: “This is a busy time in the library with many students using it so we would urge anyone who does see anything that looks like someone may be defacing a library book to report it immediately to library staff.”

Warwick Anti-Sexism Society (WASS) have commented: “We are saddened to hear that a library book – especially one exploring women’s experiences – has been defaced with this misogynistic commentary.

“This incident reinforces the importance of fighting sexism on our campus. We have a number of exciting campaigns coming up and hope to start some interesting – and clearly necessary – discussions about these issues.

“We welcome people to contact our Facebook page for more information.”