Image: Jewish and Israeli Society

BREAKING: Anti-Semitic annotations found in Warwick library book

Anti-Semitic annotations have been found written in a book in Warwick library.

Amongst the annotations includes the line: “Belsen was a gas, right?”, in reference to the Nazi concentration camp Bergen-Belsen where at least 50,000 people were killed during the Holocaust.

Others point to Jewish sounding names with “Jew” and “Jewess” written alongside the Star of David. Another plays on racist stereotypes, writing: “Bankers = Money = Jews”.

A reference to the Holocaust is made in one annotation. Image: Jewish and Israeli Society

The book with the annotations, entitled South Africa and Apartheid, was found today by a History student while using the text for an essay.

It is unknown when these annotations were originally written, and further comments have been added in response pointing out the anti-Semitism in places.

The finding of these annotations follow a Warwick student being suspended as a Labour councillor due to anti-Semitic tweets written on a shared Twitter account, as well as a widely reported racist incident occurring on campus over the Easter break.

We’re feeling really frustrated. We understand that it’s very hard for the library to find out who did this, but at the same time, we don’t want to let this go.

Warwick’s Jewish and Israeli Society

They also follow a week in which several Labour MPs and councillors have been suspended because of anti-Semitism, including Ken Livingstone, who claimed that: “Hitler was supporting Zionism before he went mad and killed 6 million Jews.”

Warwick’s Jewish and Israeli Society have commented: “We’re feeling really frustrated. We understand that it’s very hard for the library to find out who did this, but at the same time, we don’t want to let this go.”

They added: “We feel stuck.”

Peter Dunn, director of press and policy for the University, stated: “Everyone I have spoken to today is disgusted by these comments. Library staff have been given photocopies of the pages but the book itself has yet to be returned to the library.

“While it will obviously be challenging, the Library, with support from other colleagues, will do all it can to investigate this particularly offensive act of vandalism.”

Warwick Library confirmed on Twitter that the University Librarian is looking into the incident.

There is clearly an issue with anti-Semitism in both our University community and wider society – this is unacceptable, and we must always act to condemn and oppose all forms of discrimination.

Warwick SU

Warwick Students’ Union released a statement, commenting: “These comments are abhorrent, and we absolutely condemn them.

“It is sad that this is the second statement about anti-Semitism we have had to release in recent weeks, and we are under no illusion that these are isolated incidents. There is clearly an issue with anti-Semitism in both our University community and wider society – this is unacceptable, and we must always act to condemn and oppose all forms of discrimination.”

It finished: “We stand with the Jewish community and our Jewish students in what must be an incredibly frustrating and upsetting time, and will be meeting with the Library imminently to discuss how to proceed.”

Warwick Anti-Racism Society have also been approached for comment.