Hillary Clinton has been appointed Chancellor of QUB
Image: Albert Bridge / Geograph

Hillary Clinton has been appointed as Chancellor of Queen’s University, Belfast

Hillary Clinton has been named as new Chancellor of Queen’s University, Belfast (QUB), making her the first woman to take up the post.

The former US Secretary of State and presidential nominee will take up the role immediately, and serve for five years.

In a statement, Mrs Clinton said: “It’s my great privilege to become QUB’s 11th – and first female – chancellor. It’s a place I have great fondness for and have grown a strong relationship with over the years, and I’m proud to be an ambassador for its excellence.”

She succeeds Dr Tom Moran, who passed away last year.

The role of chancellor is mainly ceremonial: the chancellor often presides at graduation ceremonies and is an ambassador for the university abroad.

Mrs Clinton will also act as an advisor to the vice-chancellor Professor Ian Greer, as well as members of senior management.

Stephen Prenter, Pro-Chancellor and Chair of Senate, said: “I am delighted that Queen’s has chosen Hillary Clinton to be its new Chancellor.

Secretary Clinton has made a considerable contribution to Northern Ireland and as an internationally recognised leader will be a very fine advocate for Queen’s

– Clare Hanna

“Secretary Clinton has made a considerable contribution to Northern Ireland and as an internationally recognised leader will be an incredible advocate for Queen’s and an inspirational role model for the Queen’s community.”

Mrs Clinton has a long history with Northern Ireland, first visiting in November 1995 with her husband, then-President Bill Clinton.

Clinton was the first serving US president to visit the country.

The Clintons played a major role in the country’s peace process, and Mrs Clinton was a frequent visitor during her tenure as US Secretary of State.

In 2018, Mrs Clinton received an honorary degree from QUB, and a new scholarship was set up in her name for postgraduate study in politics, human rights and peace building.

South Belfast MP Claire Hanna described the appointment as a “positive reflection on Queen’s University and Northern Ireland.”

She said: “Secretary Clinton has made a considerable contribution to Northern Ireland and as an internationally recognised leader will be a very fine advocate for Queen’s and an inspirational role model for the student and alumni community.

“Secretary Clinton has a long-standing relationship with Belfast, spanning decades. This new role is an extension of her long-standing commitment to people in Belfast and across the North. As a local MP, I look forward to supporting Chancellor Clinton, Professor Ian Greer and their colleagues across QUB.”