Image: Twitter/X / @uniofwarwick

Boar reporters win at national awards

Journalists from The Boar are amongst those who have been honoured at the annual Student Publication Association (SPA) National Awards.

Writers Zoé Barret, Eden Fall-Bailey, Archie Clarke, and Luke Chapman, secured three awards between them. Barret won the accolade for Best Creative Piece, for her poem ‘Greetings and Goodbye’. She said that the poem “represented the things I love most about university,” and that she had been glad to share them.

Fall-Bailey took home Best Interview, for her piece speaking to Leamington homeless man, Frank. She said that whilst she was honoured to receive the prize, “the real recognition should go to Frank,” and that it was “refreshing” to see non-traditional media win recognition.

Archie Clarke and Luke Chapman were Highly Commended in the highly sought-after category of Best News Story, for their report on the fallout of the Sherbourne stabbing in November of last year. Sian Elvin, News Editor for The Independent, praised the pair for their professionalism, calling their work “exactly what a local publication would ask you to do.”

More than 1,200 entries were considered for the 2024 awards, which were decided by professionals including from the BBC, The Times, and The Guardian.