Image: Archie Clarke / The Boar

BREAKING: Warwick student ‘failed by the justice system’ after Sherbourne stabbing sentencing

Ayaz Kazi has told The Boar that he has been “failed by the justice system” after Rohan Ahluwalia-Pandor was sentenced to a two-year community order today for stabbing Kazi at Warwick’s Sherbourne Residences in 2021.

Following the sentence, Ayaz Kazi issued a written statement shared exclusively with The Boar:

“Following today’s sentencing. I feel drained and exhausted by the justice system. Two years of pain waiting. The pain of seeing and feeling blood gushing out your body through three different wounds. All that for one offender to walk free and the other to pick litter. I have been failed by the justice system.

“Ausaf can walk back into the university like nothing happened. I’ve felt unheard. If things went differently this could have been a murder case.

I thank God for saving my life because in the scenario I was in it’s a miracle I’m alive and no one will ever understand that

Ayaz Kazi, Sherbourne stabbing victim

“Imagine a mother losing their son, A father having to bury his son, my older sisters losing their little brother. I am just happy I am healthy and fit. I thank God for saving my life because in the scenario I was in it’s a miracle I’m alive and no one will ever understand that.”

Mr Kazi’s wounds were deemed non-life-threatening at the time, and he has since recovered.

A University of Warwick spokesperson told The Boar today: “This was a truly shocking attack by a visitor on one of our students, though thankfully cases like this remain very rare at Warwick. We note today‘s court verdict and will continue to support the victim in their studies.”

[Ahluwalia-Pandor] will have to attend 35 days of rehabilitation and perform 180 hours of unpaid work

The perpetrator, Ahluwalia-Pandor, was sentenced to a two-year community order after he stabbed Kazi at the University of Warwick in 2021. As part of the sentence, he will have to attend 35 days of rehabilitation and perform 180 hours of unpaid work.

Ahluwalia-Pandor was charged with unlawful wounding which can carry a sentence of up to five years in prison. He has been in custody for nearly six months and this was considered by the judge during sentencing.

His sentencing took place at Warwick Crown Court at 10:30am today with Judge Peter Cooke delivering the verdict.

Cooke stated during the sentencing that the stabbing was a “serious start to a criminal record” and that Ahluwalia-Pandor had “in effect ambushed him”. He further warned that the sentence would “hang over” him but noted that he was lucky to avoid a suspended prison sentence.

Ahluwalia-Pandor was arrested alongside his ex-girlfriend and Warwick Law student Anam Ausaf after he stabbed Kazi, who was also a Warwick Law student, three times on November 17 2021. Ausaf was found not guilty on 21 September this year.

The prosecution outlined the events of what happened in November 2021 and they are as follows:

Kazi and Ausaf had known each other for some time before they both started studying at the University and were even in a relationship in secondary school.

When Ausaf started at Warwick she was in a relationship with the defendant: Ahluwalia-Pandor. She then began to talk with Kazi at his accommodation about her relationship and told Kazi that she was going to break up with him. The pair then slept with each other and afterwards, Kazi left the accommodation for 15 minutes. Ausaf then texted Ahluwalia-Pandor about their relationship and then told Kazi when he returned that they had not broken up.

Kazi then defended himself from Ahluwalia-Pandor and was stabbed three times whilst doing so

Kazi then left the accommodation but was later called by Ausaf. The call lasted 40 minutes during which she told Kazi that they had in fact broken up.

Ahluwalia-Pandor then travelled to the University of Warwick from London. Ausaf proceeded to invite Kazi to her room in Sherbourne block the next day. Kazi was suspicious and as such told a friend where he was going. When he arrived, he asked Ausaf to let him in as he could not get into Sherbourne without a key fob. He noted that Ausaf looked uncomfortable and was acting strangely as she led him to her room.

Once inside the room, Ausaf went into her ensuite bathroom and left Kazi alone in the room itself. Ahluwalia-Pandor then came into the room and lunged at Kazi with “something in his hand”. Kazi then defended himself from Ahluwalia-Pandor and was stabbed three times whilst doing so. He then managed to leave the room and walk outside where he was seen by a Warwick staff member. Being covered in blood, he looked “like he had just been stabbed”.

Campus security and emergency services were called, and the Sherbourne block where the stabbing occurred was locked down. Following the stabbing, Ausaf and Ahluwalia-Pandor were seen descending the building staircase. Both were later arrested after firearms officers arrived. Sherbourne residents were told to evacuate and were offered alternative accommodation.

• The justice system has ridiculously failed. This individual was deceived and led into a situation that could’ve easily caused his death. And the consequence? Community work (and thus freedom) for a potentially dangerous criminal and no consequences for the instigator. Embarrassing. The University should aim to make it right to him.