Image: Unsplash/chadmadden
Image: Unsplash/chadmadden

Shannon Beveridge becomes the queer community’s cool new agony aunt in podcast: exes and o’s

We are in an era where YouTubers are delving into the world of podcasting. For some, seeing one of their favourite influencers in a different format may cause some anxiety, but for me, this transitional period could not have come at a better time as a fan of Shannon Beveridge.

Beveridge’s online ascendance began in 2012 through her YouTube channel and online persona nowthisisliving. These videos would elaborate on her journey of coming out as lesbian, her ‘out’ life in Los Angeles, and provide support and guidance to those in the
LGBTQIA+ community.

When Beveridge’s podcast exes and o’s was announced in November 2023, this was a surprise to many as it came during a period where her YouTube presence was mostly inactive apart from the odd sporadic video.

Exes and o’s successfully destigmatises elements of queer life and identity

Since its announcement, exes and o’s has released eighteen episodes since December 2023. As confirmed by the title, exes and o’s (short for exes and orgasms) is a podcast relating to queer relationships and sex. With a rotating queer guest each week, exes and o’s successfully destigmatises elements of queer life and identity. This is made possible through Beveridge’s efforts to capture the queer experience by making her guests feel at ease within the podcast’s intimate setting.

Each episode is recorded from Beveridge’s bedroom, where both herself and the guest make themselves comfortable on her bed. This informal setting along with Beveridge’s innate chemistry with her guests establishes exes and o’s as an atmospheric and cosy environment, enmeshed with honest conversations between Beveridge and some of her nearest and dearest.

Beveridge has conducted high-quality episodes that feature many famous queer guests. exes and o’s has welcomed LGBTQIA+ influencers Rose and Rosie, fellow podcasters and comedians, McKenzie Goodwin and Rachel Scanlon of Two D*kes And A Mic along with her close friends (and musicians) Zolita and Rebecca Black to join Beveridge in discussing their own insights into queer life.

A platform of queer joy, guidance and community

Although there have been exceptional guests so far, it would be great to witness a more diverse line-up on exes and o’s. It is essential for exes and o’s to create an inclusive platform that strives to include queer people of colour in addition to trans, nonbinary, and gender-
nonconforming individuals. This would further incorporate exes and o’s pre-existing sentiment that being ‘queer’ is not easily defined.

Each episode of exes and o’s follows a strategic structure, as episodes begin with Beveridge’s weekly ‘mental health check-in’ before the guest is announced and the podcast commences. These check-ins divulge in a compelling honesty from Beveridge relating to her experiences of therapy and the general ups and downs of life. There is no linear structure surrounding what topics are discussed within exes and o’s. This is one of the podcast’s main strengths as no stone is left unturned, as each discussion topic feels like a spur of the moment discretion from either Beveridge or her guest. This is a pivotal experience for any listener to feel immersed in the heartfelt and much-needed conversations taking place during exes and o’s.

In one notable episode, ‘validating the worst person you know,’ Beveridge is joined by her older sister and therapist, Casey Beveridge. In this episode, they discuss their heterosexual and lesbian sister paradigm, and we see a compelling portrayal of Beveridge before nowthisisliving. Casey provides not only a therapist’s outlook but a sisterly insight into her and Shannon’s childhood. They reminisce on Shannon’s high school reality as a closeted lesbian whilst attempting to defy the stereotypes surrounding her athleticism and her interest in photography being considered mutually exclusive. Beveridge within exes and o’s sets out to highlight that there is not one way of being queer.

Beveridge caters to both the queer community and its allies through making exceptional efforts to normalise the intricacies of queer life whilst providing information, support and guidance to its listeners

No one is more suited to the role of hosting exes and o’s than Beveridge, her consistent transparency throughout her own experiences and her three very public breakups, make her more than suitable to provide a platform of queer joy, guidance and community to queer individuals. This same transparency saw Beveridge conduct a two-part episode titled ‘the beginning’ and ‘closure’ with her ex-girlfriend and musician, Cari Fletcher (also known as FLETCHER); where the pair discussed their relationship, their very public and drama-filled breakup and their newfound maturity which enabled them to rekindle their friendship.

As Beveridge attempts to nurse her own love-life, exes and o’s provides listeners with a similar opportunity through the permanent presence of a ‘phone-in / text’ segment, where listeners can leave messages to Beveridge and her guests to be discussed on a future episode.

Exes and o’s is a fun and honest podcast that should be on everyone’s radar

Some topics that have arisen are: the ‘correct’ way to have lesbian sex and the internalised homophobia that often accompanies discussions surrounding the use of a strap-on, the stigma attached to the label ‘lesbian’, and anecdotes regarding the queer dating scene. No topic is ‘too taboo’ for exes and o’s, as Beveridge creates a safe space and provides wisdom to her listeners. This segment is vital to normalise the queer experience and establish a community within exes and o’s.

Exes and o’s is a fun and honest podcast that should be on everyone’s radar. Beveridge caters to both the queer community and its allies through making exceptional efforts to normalise the intricacies of queer life whilst providing information, support and guidance to its
listeners.