Image: Flickr / Edinburgh Greens

Blanket 20mph zones to go ahead in parts of Coventry

Coventry City Council has given final approval for a new 20mph zone in Earlsdon, as part of a raft of changes intended to pilot “liveable neighbourhoods” across Coventry.

Planned traffic-calming measures include the introduction of a blanket 20mph speed limit across Earlsdon, new no-entry roads, the widening of pavements, and new West Midlands Cycle Hire docks.

Work to implement the new changes is intended to begin in May, and expected to be fully completed by August.

The plans have faced significant backlash from some residents of the area, with the traffic orders to implement the new speed limit receiving over 50 objections. Some residents expressed their concern that they were still confused over the plans, and unaware of its full ramifications.

Several aspects of the scheme will now not proceed, after residents raised concerns. These include proposals for a part-time taxi rank, and the introduction of double yellow lines and a Blue Badge parking bay on Moor Street.

If it saves one life, then it’ll be worth it

Councillor Patricia Hetherton, Cabinet Member for City Services

Councillor Patricia Hetherton, Cabinet Member for City Services, who signed off on the plans, acknowledged residents’ concerns, but insisted that: “If it saves one life, then it’ll be worth it.”

Councillor Hetherton’s own 11-year-old niece was killed at a zebra crossing several years ago, an event the Councillor told BBC News strongly motivates her concerns over pedestrian safety.

She said: “It never leaves you, because you never want anyone to go through what you’ve gone through.

“You are constantly aware of it – the need for safety and prevention.”

Not all residents oppose the scheme. Local resident Barry King said he was “very glad” to see the 20mph zone’s implementation. He said he hoped the scheme would slow down traffic, and encourage residents to cycle.

Over 200 schemes similar to the pilot programme in Earlsdon have already been introduced across the country, including in Glasgow, Bristol, and London.

A similar scheme was also introduced in Wales, when the Senedd approved plans for a 20mph default speed limit across the entirety of the country.

The move prompted backlash from Westminster. Prime Minister Rishi Sunak described it as a “war on motorists”, and suggested his government would aim to prevent councils in England from implementing such schemes.

The Welsh Government has now announced a climb-down on the policy, authorising some councils to revert to 30mph limits.

Nonetheless, Coventry City Council now plans to expand their own “liveable neighbourhoods” scheme, pending its performance in Earlsdon. Having chosen the neighbourhood due to a historically high rate of traffic accidents, the Council has now approved funding for a second 20mph zone in Lower Coundon, and has opened consultations with residents.

• Speed Enforcer

If the issue is speeding then changing the number on the signs won’t change that. Enforce it!! Put speed cameras every 100m on every road nationwide and see speeding disappear overnight.

Every other policy being introduced worldwide is about reducing climate change and here we are in Britain enforcing driving in third gear through built up areas!!