Image: PxHere / Andrey

Government under fire for decision to reopen Russian scholarship programme

The British government’s decision to reopen a scholarship programme for Russian students has drawn criticism from campaigners and MPs.

The Foreign Office previously barred Russian students from applying for the Chevening Scholarship programme, which fully funds an applicant’s master’s study in the UK, after Russia’s invasion of Ukraine in February 2022.

The department has now lifted the restriction and reopened the scheme to Russian applicants, despite ongoing geopolitical tensions.

A programme like this should be for citizens of countries that aren’t threatening us with nuclear war

Bill Browder, US anti-corruption campaigner

The scheme, funded by the Foreign Office through the UK’s international aid budget, is open to students from 160 countries with “demonstrable potential to become future leaders, decision-makers and opinion formers”.

Successful applicants will have their one-year master’s degree study, flights, course fees, and accommodation fully funded, provided they return to their home country once they graduate.

Over 30 scholarships have been given to Russian students in one year in the past.

Campaigners and senior MPs have criticised the decision to use foreign aid money to train Russia’s future leaders.

Bill Browder, a US anti-corruption campaigner, told the Independent that: “While Putin is killing Ukrainians, it would be highly inappropriate for the British government to send any money to Russians, who may go back to Russia and support the war effort.

“A programme like this should be for citizens of countries that aren’t threatening us with nuclear war.”

Sir Jacob Rees-Mogg, a senior Conservative backbench MP, called for the suspension of the scheme as it will “only possibly benefit apparatchiks of Putin’s regime”.  He suggested that the money be spent helping Russian families fleeing from political oppression.

Henry Smith, a member of Parliament’s Foreign Affairs Committee, said it is “not the time” to reopen the scheme, because Mr Putin’s administration is “acting like a crime syndicate at home and bringing war to Europe”.

Enabling Russian students, the brightest and best, to see that Putin’s ‘truths’ are anything but, and to experience a society that is open and free, is the right thing to do

Alicia Kearns MP, Foreign Affairs Committee Chair

A Foreign Office spokesperson said that Russians are increasingly unable to exercise their freedoms, and argued that the Chevening Scholarship allows Britain to “engage the next generation of students from across the globe with Western values and critical thinking”.

He added: “Our argument is with Putin’s regime and his illegal invasion of Ukraine. It is not with the Russian people, many of whom are increasingly suffering the consequences of this invasion.”

Alicia Kearns, Chair of the Foreign Affairs Committee, explained: “Enabling Russian students, the brightest and best, to see that Putin’s ‘truths’ are anything but, and to experience a society that is open and free, is the right thing to do.”

The University of Warwick has admitted over 130 Chevening recipients since 2020.