Image: West Midlands CTU/PA

Coventry-based student who built ‘kamikaze’ drone for IS jailed for life

An engineering student who designed a drone for use by the Islamic State (IS) terrorist group has been jailed for life with a minimum term of 20 years in prison.

Mohamad Al Bared, from Kare Road in Coventry, was found guilty on 28 September of preparing acts of terrorism.

Al Bared, a PhD student at the University of Birmingham, had contacted IS through an online messaging service and began working on the drone in July 2022.

The 27-year-old used a 3D printer in his bedroom to assemble a prototype of the unnamed aerial vehicle (UAV).

Prosecutors told the court that Al Bared hoped the device, which had a range of up to five kilometres, would deliver a bomb or chemical weapon.

It is impossible to say whether you will ever surrender your extremist views. You are a dangerous offender from whom the public requires protection

Judge Paul Farrer KC, Birmingham Crown Court

Whilst handing down the sentence at Birmingham Crown Court, Judge Paul Farrer KC declared Al Bared was a “committed extremist”.

He told Al Bared: “I have no doubt that you are still today a supporter of Islamic State.

“It is impossible to say whether you will ever surrender your extremist views. You are a dangerous offender from whom the public requires protection.”

Although Al Bared denied supporting IS, the judge added: “Your preparations were undertaken with a view to endangering multiple lives.”

Prior to his sentencing, Al Bared’s barrister, Alistair Webster KC, applied unsuccessfully for the case to be adjourned for further consideration of psychiatric reports.

Mr Webster said: “He is not a person suited to being in prison. He is in a highly agitated state about the way things have gone.”

However, Nick Price, Head of the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) Special Crime and Counter Terrorism Division, commented:

“Mohamad Al Bared built a drone with the sole purpose of supplying ISIS with the means to cause horror and destruction.

“This sentence means that a highly dangerous individual has been taken off the streets.”