Image: West Midlands CTU/PA

Coventry-based student found guilty of making ‘Tomahawk missile’ drone for IS

A PhD student at the University of Birmingham has been convicted of building a drone that could deliver explosive and chemical weapons to terror group Islamic State (IS).

On 28 September at Birmingham Crown Court, Mohamad Al Bared was found guilty of engaging in conduct in preparation for terrorism.

The 26-year-old mechanical engineering graduate denied the allegation.

He was arrested in January after several devices and a 3D printer used to make the drone were found at his house in Coventry, which he shared with his parents.

Prosecutor Michelle Heeley KC told the court the idea for the drone was “inspired by the design of the Tomahawk missile”, based on material recovered from his electronic devices.

She said Al Bared had also filled in an IS application form and set up a UK-registered company to avoid being stopped by authorities when getting the drone into war zones.

Al Bared said that he was not responsible for filling in the form.

Al Bared was a calculated individual and coupled with his education and expertise in mechanical and chemical engineering he was clearly very dangerous

Det Ch Supt Mark Payne, West Midlands Police

He said he had no plans to assist IS and made a drone for research purposes.

Alistair Webster KC, Al Bared’s barrister, argued that his client researched IS to “debate” against the terror group’s views at a mosque.

But the prosecution said encrypted online chats and other digital material proved that he supported IS and he made the drone for terrorist purposes.

Detective Chief Superintendent Mark Payne, Head of the West Midlands Regional Counter Terrorism Unit, commented: “Al-Bared was a calculated individual and coupled with his education and expertise in mechanical and chemical engineering he was clearly very dangerous.”

Judge Paul Farrer KC added: “A long prison sentence is the inevitable consequence of that, but the length and nature of that sentence is a matter for careful consideration.”

Al Bared will be sentenced on 27 November.