Image: Wikimedia Commons / David P Howard

Serious crash on Coventry’s Sky Blue Way

A teenager was seriously injured in a suspected hit-and-run on Sky Blue Way in Coventry on 8 December.

Sky Blue Way was opened in 1986, named after the theme colour of Coventry City Football Club. Located to the east of Coventry, it is a road connecting the Coventry ring road and Jimmy Hill Way.

The victim, a 19-year-old man, was struck by the vehicle at about 7:10pm on Friday

The victim, a 19-year-old man, was struck by the vehicle at about 7:10pm on Friday, West Midlands Police said. Two ambulances and one paramedic were sent to help the injured person.

He was quickly taken to University Hospital Coventry in Walsgrave with serious injuries which are currently not believed to be life-threatening.

The driver of the vehicle involved fled the scene, and a 26-year-old man presented himself at a local police station a short time later. 

He was arrested on suspicion of causing serious injury by dangerous driving and drunk driving, and has been released on bail pending further inquiries. 

Anyone with any information, particularly any dashcam footage of the incident, is asked to get in touch with us via Live Chat on our website or call 101 quoting log 4337 of December 8, 2023

West Midlands Police spokesman

A spokesman for West Midlands Police added: “Anyone with any information, particularly any dashcam footage of the incident, is asked to get in touch with us via Live Chat on our website or call 101 quoting log 4337 of December 8, 2023.”

There are 600 to 700 casualties from road traffic accidents every year in Coventry, according to the Coventry City Council, and accidents on Sky Blue Way have happened before – eight years ago, a woman died in a fatal car accident on the road.