Image: Pexels / Kindel Media

Nuneaton schoolgirl’s murderer to be released from prison

Edwin Hopkins was sentenced to life in prison in 1997 for the murder of 15-year-old Naomi Smith, whose body was found in a playground near her home in September 1995.

DNA evidence and witness statements showed that Hopkins sexually assaulted and murdered Smith, but he never pleaded guilty. 

An official summary from the Board obtained by CoventryLive in November 2023 revealed that it directed the release of Hopkins

He was initially ordered to be imprisoned for at least 18 years before he would be considered for parole, but the Parole Board of England and Wales made him eligible for parole in 2013.

An official summary from the Board obtained by CoventryLive in November 2023 revealed that it directed the release of Hopkins as it concluded that “no significant concerns have been raised about Mr Hopkins’ behaviour in custody”. 

CoventryLive has been told that the decision to release him has now been finalised.

This is despite the fact Jones’ family asked Nuneaton MP, Marcus Jones, to write to Alex Chalk KC MP, Secretary of State for Justice, to overrule the decision.

A Parole Board of England and Wales spokesperson said they had reviewed the risk of releasing Hopkins and whether that risk is manageable in the community using a “huge range of evidence”, such as evidence of behavioural change and psychiatrists’ statements. 

Parole reviews are undertaken thoroughly and with extreme care. Protecting the public is our number one priority

Spokesman, Parole Board of England and Wales

He concluded: “Parole reviews are undertaken thoroughly and with extreme care. Protecting the public is our number one priority.”

Hopkins will be subject to strict conditions following his release, including increased surveillance with a ban on travelling on a multitude of roads without the prior agreement of a surveillance officer, as well as a restriction on the use of electronic devices and access to the Internet.

He has been prohibited from approaching or communicating with Smith’s family without prior approval. 

His release date has not been made available to either the public or Smith’s family.