Charity service collecting Christmas presents for the children of Leamington

In Leamington Spa, a local community organiser has led Operation Snowfall for the fourth year in a row. The initiative aims to collect shoeboxes containing small items for children in need aged between four and 18.

Alex Pearson is a local fundraiser and Community Champion for Morrisons in Leamington Spa.

She coordinated the operation with Liss Phillips of the Warwickshire Care Leavers Forum. The shoeboxes collected will be donated to local charities such as Together for Short Lives and Leamington’s Santa Sleigh.

She began to run the operation in 2020 when some people struggled to afford Christmas gifts and Christmas dinner because of the pandemic.

The operation has supported the homeless, dog kennels, vulnerable families, care homes, and an orphanage in Ukraine in the past.

The point of this operation is that no one is left alone at Christmas 

Alex Pearson, leader of Operation Snowfall

Pearson explained: “The point of this operation is that no one is left alone at Christmas.

“This year we have collected over 80 shoeboxes which were so lovely. 

“Some had written cards wishing whoever would receive the present a merry Christmas. You can see a lot of thought goes into them.”

Mayor of Whitnash, Simon Button; the Mayor of Leamington, Alan Boad; and the Mayor of Warwick, Oliver Jacques, also joined Pearson and her team at Morrisons to help wrap up the shoe boxes.

This project helps bring the community together and make good things happen

The Operation has been supported by local community groups like Coventry Corsairs and Hamptons and Warwickshire Search and Rescue.

Pearson added: “This project helps bring the community together and make good things happen.”

There are also charity services for children in need and their families in Coventry, Leamington Spa, and Warwickshire. For example, Norma Wilson, a former foster carer for Warwickshire County Council, has prepared around 250 hampers for young people who have recently left care and asylum seekers without family support for the 25th consecutive year.