Image: Flickr

Leamington Spa introduces new ‘Safe Space’

A new ‘Safe Space’ offering support to those who feel vulnerable during a night out was opened in Leamington Spa on 17 November.

Located in the South Lodge on the Parade and open every week from 10pm on Friday to 4am on Saturday, the facility is run by Warwick District Council’s Community Safety Team, in partnership with Warwickshire Police, street marshals, pastors, and the University of Warwick.

It aims to protect those who are out of the house after dark, particularly women and girls, and combat domestic abuse towards women.

According to CrimeRate, Leamington Spa is the second most dangerous medium-sized town in Warwickshire

According to the Warwick District Council, it is a “non-judgmental” space led by a designated safe space coordinator and stationed by trained first-aiders.

It also provides support contacting friends and family and free resources such as drink spiking test kits.

According to CrimeRate, Leamington Spa is the second most dangerous medium-sized town in Warwickshire, and out of all crimes committed, those categorised as ‘Violence and Sexual Offences’ were the second-most frequent in 2022.

We know that there are circumstances when a someone can find themselves in a vulnerable situation, often through no fault of their own

Jim Sinnott, Warwick District Council’s Portfolio Holder for Safer Communities, Leisure & Environment

Councillor Jim Sinnott – Warwick District Council’s Portfolio Holder for Safer Communities, Leisure & Environment – commented: “Everyone in our community should be able to enjoy a safe night out, free from harm. However, we know that there are circumstances when a someone can find themselves in a vulnerable situation, often through no fault of their own.

“We hope that this new Safe Space will not only be somewhere to seek help if you find yourself in difficulties, but also a place to gain advice on prevention of drink spiking and other potential dangers.”

Mark Kennell, Head of Community Safety & Security at the University of Warwick, added that the University is proud to be collaborating on this project. According to him, it embodies the District Council’s commitment to helping people stay safe on a ‘night out’.

So as long as students know about these spaces, I would feel more comfortable going out at night

Third-year student at the University of Warwick

A third-year student who lives in Leamington Spa said it is hard to predict how safe she will feel on a ‘night out’ as it can be “scary and daunting” when there are “many rowdy people” in a club or pub.

She said: “A safe space would be a great idea, as long as it’s signposted and promoted well. I didn’t know about this initiative and I live in Leamington. So as long as students know about these spaces, I would feel more comfortable going out at night.”

In addition to the Safe Space, there are 14 ‘emergency contact points’ monitored 24/7 by trained operators in Leamington Spa, including Caffè Nero on the Parade and the Bedford Street Car Park.