Image: Ellie MacArthur / The Boar News

Faculty of Arts Building awarded West Midlands Building of the Year

The Faculty of Arts Building (FAB) was named the West Midlands Building of the Year at the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) West Midlands regional awards.

The building, constructed with the support of Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios, cost £57.5m and brought together the departments and schools of the faculty.

The FAB faced eight other buildings from across the region, and it topped a list of six schemes which have won this year’s RIBA awards.

Will Gamble, an architect who chaired the West Midlands judging panel, said that the nine projects on the shortlist showcased “the rich tapestry of architecture” in the region.

He added: “Each project demonstrates how low-carbon technologies can be successfully integrated into well-crafted buildings, raising the benchmark for holistic design.”

Judges praised the ways that the fragmented scheme brought views of the surrounding landscape into the heart of the FAB.

The building provides a collective home for the arts and humanities but has created a welcoming environment for students and academics across the whole of the university

–Vice-Provost and Chair of the Faculty of Arts, Rachel Moseley

They also said that the parkland character of the institution is reflected in the choice of materials, noting the timber arch staircase which is inspired by the branches of a tree.

Vice-Provost and Chair of the Faculty of Arts, Rachel Moseley said that she was “delighted” with the recognition of the Faculty of Arts building at RIBA’s regional awards: “The building provides a collective home for the arts and humanities but has created a welcoming environment for students and academics across the whole of the university.”

Following a successful selection process, the Faculty of Arts Building will now be considered for RIBA’s National Awards in recognition of architectural excellence which will be announced on 22 June 2023.

It has also been nominated for the Stirling Prize, will be announced in October.