Image: Sky Editorial Asset Centre

Why ‘Rocky’ stands the test of time

In Rocky, there is a scene that stands out above the rest. It occurs midway through the film, just after Rocky accepts Apollo Creed’s challenge for a heavyweight title showdown. In the scene, Rocky is confronted in his apartment by Mickey Goldmill, the gym owner, who opportunistically proposes to be his manager. After boasting about his own past boxing prowess, Mickey claims that his experience and knowledge can help Rocky prepare for the fight against Creed. However, Rocky rejects the offer, telling Mickey that he needed him ten years ago, not now, before locking himself in the bathroom to signal his complete disinterest. Mickey, hobbling, breathing heavily through his nose disfigured from years spent in the ring, pleas one last time but to no avail.

In a wordless, cathartic scene, with nothing but a piano version of the main theme playing wistfully in the background, we see Rocky, free from the pains of the past, put his arm around Mickey as they walk off together into the night.

Once Mickey has left, Rocky returns to the kitchen and loses his temper. Shouting obscenities at the closed door, he lambasts Mickey for abandoning him when he needed him most, blaming him for his failed potential and miserable living situation. On his way out, Mickey hears Rocky’s anger through the wall and stops, before silently walking away. It’s a heart-breaking scene, full of regret and angst, as Rocky continues to vent to an empty room, no longer able to contain the years of resentment built up inside of him.

But what happens next elevates Stallone’s script above and beyond a mere boxing action movie. Rocky, his rage dissipating, can see that he could benefit from Mickey’s guidance, and recognises his duty to the man who facilitated, albeit inadequately, his boxing career. In a decision that marks a turning point in the movie, Rocky decides to let the past die and races outside to catch up with Mickey. In a wordless, cathartic scene, with nothing but a piano version of the main theme playing wistfully in the background, we see Rocky, free from the pains of the past, put his arm around Mickey as they walk off together into the night.

This scene is so impactful because it encapsulates all the major themes of Rocky in one: seizing every opportunity presented to you, not getting caught up in the past, and doing what you can to lift others up with you. After accepting Mickey’s help, Rocky’s path to greatness is clear: he disregards every bad decision and unfortunate circumstance that got him to his current situation and focuses solely on the title fight ahead. Not looking back once, what follows is an hour of iconic scenes and quotes, from the Philadelphia Museum of Art steps to the raw egg protein shake, the second half of Rocky is cinema at its best.

The fact that Apollo Creed, the already-successful famous boxer who has, for all intents and purposes, achieved the American Dream, is a black man, while Rocky, who symbolises society’s failures at the start, is white, is an interesting reversal of race expectations.

But what makes Rocky stands the test of time is its first half – the character building, the slow stuff. At the start of the movie, Rocky is a “bum”– he is a failed boxer, unemployed and unloved, living in a disgusting, tiny apartment, making what he can as a strongman for the local mafia boss. He’s insecure and angry, and the only thing he doesn’t doubt is his boxing ability, which takes a backseat as he drinks, smokes and longs for his childhood after he is kicked out of the gym and his initial pursuit of Adrian proves unsuccessful. Yet, throughout, Rocky remains likeable. A number of quieter scenes showcase the Italian Stallion as he really is: caring – for turtles and a young girl, and vulnerable – opening up to Adrian on the ice rink. He’s a flawed, but heroic character, who finally gets the bit of luck he deserves.

It is often said that Rocky is a boxing movie that’s not really about boxing. It’s true. If you’re here for an action movie, you will be disappointed. One place where Rocky does show its age is in the boxing scenes themselves – compared to Creed III, which I saw on release, the fighting scenes are slow and unrealistic. Also, the sound quality is not great – I had to watch the movie with subtitles to catch every word. But don’t let these inconveniences put you off. Beyond the wider themes, Rocky has so much to say in the details. There are no one-dimensional characters – like Rocky himself, like the real world, everyone is complex: difficult, prejudiced, emotional, and human. After the movie, try and explain how you feel about Tony Gazzo, the violent ‘loan shark’ who nonetheless cares for Rocky deeply.

The racial politics is another interesting aspect of the movie. The fact that Apollo Creed, the already-successful famous boxer who has, for all intents and purposes, achieved the American Dream, is a black man, while Rocky, who symbolises society’s failures at the start, is white, is an interesting reversal of race expectations. Apollo, talented and charismatic, but distracted by money and fame, showcases the pitfalls of wealth, while Rocky, constantly fighting to prove himself, demonstrates the struggle of poverty. The point: the vicissitudes of life affect everyone.

Finally, a word on Rocky’s soundtrack. The music everyone remembers is, of course, the triumphant horns of Rocky’s Theme during the workout montage, but the theme’s melody is also played softly and beautifully during more intimate scenes. It’s perfect.

Rocky may be 47 years old, but it is an exquisitely crafted film with universal themes about success and failure. Ultimately an uplifting story about being resilient through life’s hardships, while making the most of opportunities given to you, Rocky is deserving of its legendary status. With one of cinema’s greatest endings, Stallone’s masterpiece is a must-watch.