Image: Pete / Flickr

UCU calls for marking and assessment boycott from 20 April

The University and College Union (UCU) has launched a marking and assessment boycott, beginning Thursday 20 April.

The boycott is being carried out as part of both the ‘pay and conditions’ and USS pensions disputes, and it will see staff cease all summative marking and associated assessment activities and duties (such as exam invigilation or the processing of marks) until further notice.

It was also announced that following a ballot of UCU members in March to obtain a renewed mandate for industrial action, strike action could continue until the end of September 2023, affecting 146 universities in the country. No dates for renewed strike action have been announced at the time of writing.

The marking boycott will affect students whose lecturers and teaching staff are striking members of the UCU. Summative marking and assessment at all levels, from undergraduate assignments to PhD final vivas, are covered in the boycott, as are all forms of higher education and professional training.

The boycott is part of the UCU’s mandate for strike action, in a dispute over pay, working conditions, and pension cuts that has already resulted in 18 days of strikes this year.

Staff have been crystal clear that they are worth more than what has been put on the table and now bosses need to wake up and prevent widespread disruption hitting graduations.

–UCU General Secretary Jo Grady

UCU members at 83 universities are striking over pay and working conditions, five are striking over pensions, and 62 are striking over both issues. Warwick UCU members are striking over both.

This action will continue until the disputes are settled, UCU calls off the boycott, or at the end of the industrial action ballot mandate.

On 17 April, UCU went ahead with consultations which resulted in 85% of members deciding to back pension proposals negotiated with employers. 56% of members voted to reject current proposals agreed with employers on pay and working conditions, paving the way for the marking and assessments boycotts.

The vast majority of students will not be impacted by the marking boycott, with most members of staff at Warwick not members of the UCU union.

–University Spokesperson

In an information sheet for its members, the UCU said: “The union will keep all members up to date with any developments via email, through branches and on social media.”

UCU General Secretary Jo Grady said: “Ample opportunity has been given for employers to improve their offer in the pay & conditions dispute, but they have refused and now a historic marking and assessment boycott will begin at 145 universities.

“Staff have been crystal clear that they are worth more than what has been put on the table and now bosses need to wake up and prevent widespread disruption hitting graduations.

We never wanted to be in this position, but for over a decade pay has been held down and conditions attacked. Those who run our universities only have themselves to blame, but rather than resolve the disputes they are instead threatening to take 100% of wages from staff who are still performing the majority of their duties. It is disgraceful and vindictive behaviour.”

A University of Warwick spokesperson said: “We can confirm continuing industrial action from the UCU, involving a national marking and assessment boycott across over 100 universities.

“We are concerned about any potential impact on our student’s assessments and thank them and our staff for their patience as we work through this period of disruption.

“The vast majority of students will not be impacted by the marking boycott, with most members of staff at Warwick not members of the UCU union.

“We continue to monitor the situation closely and will do all we can to minimise disruption.”