University staff-student relationships could be banned under new proposals

Relationships between staff and students should be documented or banned, according to proposals by the Office for Students (OfS).

According to draft plans by England’s universities regulator, its preferred option is to make universities keep a register of staff-student relationships, but a ban might also be introduced.

The proposals are part of a consultation on tackling harassment and sexual misconduct in higher education, which will run until 4 May.

Universities UK (UUK), which represents 140 institutions, said that it would work with the OfS on the proposals.

The National Union of Students has warned that students may be reluctant to report staff misconduct out of fear it could impact their grades.

We recognise that there can be a power imbalance in personal relationships that could be exploited by unscrupulous staff to subject students to harassment or sexual misconduct

– OfS Chief Executive Susan Lapworth

The OfS said that harassment and sexual misconduct were “serious issues” in English higher education, although it noted that voluntary standards it set out in 2021 had resulted in “some improvements”.

UUK issued its own guidance last year to help HR professionals handle staff-student relationship issues.

However, the OfS concluded that practices varied across the sector, and reported incidents were not always followed up formally. Thus, the regulator plans to introduce a new requirement for higher education providers focused on students and what it calls “relevant” staff members – that is, any staff member who has a professional responsibility for a student, such as teaching or assessing.

OfS Chief Executive Susan Lapworth said: “The majority of those working in higher education behave appropriately towards their students. But we recognise that there can be a power imbalance in personal relationships that could be exploited by unscrupulous staff to subject students to harassment or sexual misconduct.

“That’s why we’re proposing that certain types of personal relationships should be disclosed, with staff dismissed if they fail to do so.”

It is crucial that any new obligations on universities are proportionate and work for the full range of institutions

– A spokesperson for UUK 

Other plans in the OfS consultation include requiring each university or college to publish a document outlining its approach and policies on staff-student relationships and banning the use of non-disclosure agreements that prevent students from talking about their experiences.

A spokesperson for UUK said: “Our members take tackling harassment and sexual misconduct extremely seriously and have been working hard to meet their obligations in this area.

“However, we recognise that there is still work to be done. We look forward to working with OfS so that these proposals will further strengthen universities’ own efforts to ensure student safety.

“It is crucial that any new obligations on universities are proportionate and work for the full range of institutions.”

The OfS is asking anyone with an interest in higher education, or in harassment prevention and support, to share their thoughts in its consultation. A summary of the responses will be published later in 2023.