Image: The Boar

Fire breaks out at Warwick campus science building

A fire broke out earlier on 27 February in the science area of Warwick’s campus. The area was evacuated, with seminars and lectures cancelled.

The emergency services, including several fire engines, arrived this afternoon to deal with the situation.

Flames and smoke were seen coming from the top of the building, near the chimneys.

The Boar has not learned of any confirmed injuries as of the time of writing.

Lord Bhattacharyya Way, the road connecting the roundabout near Varsity past the Oculus to the Arts Centre, was closed this afternoon and at night to keep people away from the scene.

The road remained partly closed on the morning of 28 February.

The fire occurred at Warwick’s Energy Innovation Centre. It lies adjacent to the Lord Bhattacharyya building and opposite the Warwick Manufacturing Group (WMG) complex.

The safety of our staff and students is of paramount importance, and as such, the EIC and Physical Science buildings will be closed tomorrow as a precaution

– University of Warwick

The Energy Innovation Centre and Physics building will remain closed tomorrow (28 February).

In a statement released on Monday evening, the University of Warwick said: “An incident in our EIC secure battery testing chamber resulted in a lithium ion car battery pack catching fire.

“As per protocol we contacted the fire brigade. The fire was contained to the test chamber and is now out. The hazmat team has also attended and since left.

“Staff and students in nearby buildings were evacuated at the time. The safety of our staff and students is of paramount importance, and as such, the EIC and Physical Science buildings will be closed tomorrow as a precaution. Should anyone feel unwell, we would advise them to contact NHS 111.”

“We will continue to liaise with the Fire Brigade and are taking their advice on safety measures for our community, including putting a cordon in place.”

The Boar has contacted the University of Warwick for further comment.