Novak Djokovic, Australian Open champion
Wikimedia Commons/ Andrew Campbell

Djokovic wins Australian Open

Novak Djokovic has won the 2023 Australian Open, claiming a record-extending tenth title, a year after he was banned from entering the tournament. He beat Stefanos Tsitsipas in straight sets 6-3 7-6(4) 7-6(5) in the final, bringing his Grand Slam tally to 22, equalling Rafael Nadal for the men’s all-time record.

Tsitsipas was hoping for his first Grand Slam title and tested Djokovic in a tough match, but could do little as the Serbian extended his winning record to 28 matches at Melbourne Park , a streak dating back to 2018. He also regains his spot as world number one and becomes the second men in history to win ten or more singles majors at any Grand Slam tournament (behind Nadal’s 14 French Open titles).

There were questions over whether a hamstring injury and controversy, due to his father meeting with Putin supporters, would knock Djokovic off of his stride, but as he stormed through the tournament, the answer to that was clearly a no. He was soon up against the Greek in the final, a battle of youth versus experience, and although the crowd was clearly not on his side, Djokovic was ready to put on a show for them nonetheless.

Throughout the tournament, he played with heavy strapping on his left hamstring – for this match, it was absent, an ominous sign for his opponent. Almost immediately, Djokovic hit his stride, putting the Greek under pressure immediately and dominating with consistent groundstrokes. Tsitsipas saved two break points in his first service game, but Djokovic achieved the only break of serve two games later, targeting his opponent’s backhand. Just over half an hour later, Djokovic had the first set on the board.

He is one of the greatest in our sport

– Stefano Tsitsipas

Tsitsipas started to gain rhythm in the second set – playing with more aggression on his groundstrokes and the audience was warming up in response. He crept ahead, and during an unusually poor service game by Djokovic, Tsitsipas had a chance at a set point. The Serbian was aggressive with his forehand, producing a winner that ultimately led to a tie-break after he held serve. The tie-break wasn’t the greatest tennis – Djokovic established a lead, gave the advantage back, and then benefitted from the Greek player’s errors to win 7-4 and go two sets in front.

By now, it felt like Tsitsipas needed a miracle – when he broke the Djokovic serve at the start of the third set, could that moment have come? No, as he handed it straight back. He withstood the pressure to set up another tie-break, this one to keep the match alive. Djokovic opened up a perfect 5-0 lead and although Tsitsipas produced some of his best tennis of the match, it wasn’t enough to stop his rival from getting his hands on a very familiar trophy.

After the match, Djokovic said: “This is one of the most challenging tournaments that I have ever played in my life. Not playing last year, coming back this year. I want to thank all the people who made me feel welcome. There is a reason why I have played my best tennis on this court, in front of legendary Rod Laver. It is a long journey. All my team and family knows what we have been through in the past four or five weeks and this is probably the biggest victory of my life.”

Tsitsipas said: “Novak, I don’t know what to say. I think it speaks for itself with what you have achieved so far. It is all in the numbers, so congratulations. Not only to yourself but having such a supportive family. It has been such an unbelievable journey for you and I admire what you have done for our sport.

“[You] make me a better player when I am on court. Novak brings the best out of me and these are the matches I have been working my entire life for. He is one of the greatest in our sport.”