Image: David Stowell/ Geograph
Image: David Stowell/ Geograph

Covent Garden car park in Leamington to close in February

The Covent Garden Multi-Storey car park in Leamington Spa is to permanently close to the public on Sunday 12 February at 18:00.

The move comes after years of Warwick District Council monitoring the building’s structure, and was exacerbated after local residents raised concerns about anti-social behaviour in the car park.

Parts of the facility have been sealed off since 2019 and today around half of the car park is no longer useable. There have also been growing issues raised about health and safety to the public, in part due to anti-social behaviour at the site.

Moira-Ann Grainger, the councillor responsible for neighbourhood services, said: “Although this has been a difficult decision, our priority must be the ongoing safety of car park users and the public. This closure isn’t unexpected. With over half of the car park already closed it has been long recognised that the car park was reaching the end of its useable life.”

Despite this closure, we are confident there is sufficient parking in place to offset the temporary loss of spaces. We are working closely with the local community and businesses to ensure there is adequate parking to support the town centre future needs

–Moira-Ann Grainger

In preparation for the closure, the council has put in place plans to reduce the impact of the loss and to minimise any disruptions to residents, businesses, and visitors.

Season ticket holders and permit holders have been offered alternative parking options. The surface car park at the structure is also due to remain open after the closure.

Ms Grainger said: “We are confident that there is sufficient parking in place to offset the temporary loss of spaces.”

The council authority is to discuss the demolition of the building when it convenes next month. If the demolition is approved, the council will continue to work in partnership with the Leamington Transformation Board to bring the site forward as part of their ambition to renew and regenerate the town centre.