Chris Wakelin
Image: Wikimedia Commons/Benutzer:Bill da Flute

Chris Wakelin wins Snooker Shoot Out 2023

Chris Wakelin has won the 2023 Snooker Shoot Out, securing his first ranking title with a fantastic 119 break to defeat Julien Leclercq in the final. His contribution to the final saw him add the £5,000 high-break prize to his £50,000 winner’s cheque, and it books him a place in the Champion of Champions.

Wakelin completed a superb run in the tournament, although he nearly fell at the first hurdle, surviving a blue-ball shootout against Farakh Ajaib in round one. From there, he beat Alfie Burden, Joe Perry, Jak Jones, Michael White and Daniel Wells on his way to the final.

It was Leclercq’s break, and he left half a chance of a long red – Wakelin went for it, didn’t get it, and then two minutes of safety ensued. Wakelin ultimately won the battle, as Leclercq left him at the black end of the table with a red on to the bottom right and a number of reds available. He got it, and then went for a tough black with half the pocket obscured. His brave shot choice was rewarded, and he was in.

He [Julien Leclercq] has got a lot of future in the game

– Chris Wakelin

Wakelin danced around the table, dispatching reds and colours with ease. A key moment of the break came with four minutes left, as he played a cannon to free the black, which was tied on its spot to a red since it was first potted. The victory was all but guaranteed, and Wakelin even had time to salute the crowd and smile about his victory as he cleared the table up to the black.

After the match, Wakelin said: “It was the first time all week, the first time in the Shoot Out, I made a break over 50 so I am going to celebrate that. 128 players turned up this week to give it their best shot and throw their name in the hat, and I am lucky to be the man who comes out on top.”

He also paid tribute to his teenage opponent, saying: “He is an absolute credit to us as a sport. He has come here and shown that not only he can battle, but he can score as well. He has got a lot of future in the game.”