Shaun Murphy measuring up a shot
Image: Wikimedia Commons/DerHexer

2023 Masters – Day 1: Defending champion Robertson dethroned

It’s the start of 2023, and the snooker season is already underway. The year begins with one of the sport’s most prestigious tournaments – the Masters, in which 16 of the top players compete for one of the most respected titles on the tour. This year’s tournament takes place in the shadow of the match-fixing scandal, with two of the previous entrants suspended from the snooker tour, but the first day showcased everything good about the sport – two very big names are already out, proof of the quality at this level.

The first match pitted defending champion Neil Robertson against Shaun Murphy. Murphy looked on fire in frame one, taking on superb long pots, until a bizarre miscue left Robertson an easy starter. From there, the Australian cleared the table to take the lead. A bad break-off left Robertson a tough red that needed to swerve the yellow slightly – he took it on, missed, and Murphy made 98 to level. A long and tactical third frame went the way of Murphy, and then both players gifted each other good chances in the fourth – ultimately, despite Murphy leaving the final red in the pocket, he etched out a 3-1 lead at the interval.

The first chance was Robertson’s in frame five – he established a 42-point lead, one that Murphy swiftly demolished. It required a first tries, coming down to a battle on the green, but Murphy added another frame to the scoreboard. He then followed it with the first century of the match, a break of 100, to move within one of victory. There were many chances for both players in frame seven, the longest of the match, and Robertson would win it to keep his hopes alive. A further 84 followed to make the score line 5-3 and then, despite a potential 147 breaking down on 104, Robertson was soon within one. He was on a roll in the next frame, and despite good chances, it was Murphy who won it, advancing to the next round 6-4.

Vafaei needed one frame to win, and it swiftly came, with another century of 104 completing a famous victory

Murphy will face the winner of Kyren Wilson vs. Stuart Bingham.

In the evening, Mark Selby faced Hossein Vafaei, the latter’s place in the event booked after the suspension of Zhao Xintong in relation to the ongoing match-fixing investigation. Both men had chances in frame one, but Vafaei was first on the scoreboard after a misjudged Selby cannon gave his opponent the initiative. Selby established a strong lead in frame two then, after a surprisingly long battle, levelled with Vafaei. There were tough chances for both men in the third frame, but Vafaei had the momentum and made a century break of 107. And then things went scrappy in frame four, but some trademark Selby snookers helped him level 2-2 at the interval.

Frame five opened with a long safety battle, and Vafaei came out on top, making a 99 from a very awkward table to retake the lead. He had a good chance in the next frame, until a surprise miscue ended his break early. More prolonged safety ensued, with both men having opportunities to carve out considerable leads on a tough table – but it would be Vafaei who eventually came out on top to move two frames in front. Again, both men could have taken the seventh frame, but a pivotal moment came when Selby entrusting a cannon to luck at it went wrong. In frustration, he misjudged a safety, and left a half-chance for his opponent, which was taken. Vafaei needed one frame to win, and it swiftly came, with another century of 104 completing a famous victory.

In the quarter-finals, Vafaei will face either John Higgins or Jack Lisowski.