Image: Ardfern/ Wikimedia Commons

Ulster University plans to open campus in Qatar

The chair of Ulster University’s (UU) LGBT+ society has said she is “heartbroken” at the institution’s plans to open a campus in Qatar.

Hannah McCullough also warned that the university is putting “financial gain over a community within their community”, and the UU will damage its international reputation with the move.

A spokesperson for UU said that the institution believed “education is a route for societal growth”, and that LGBT+ rights are central to their commitment to equality.

In February 2020, UU established a partnership in Qatar with City University College, which offers a selection of UU business degree courses to students in the country.

It is due to open a campus in Lusail in Doha next year.

However, the country’s human rights record has come under renewed focus as a result of the World Cup. Homosexuality is illegal in Qatar, and women and LGBT+ people “continue to face discrimination in law and practice”, according to Amnesty International.

Ms McCullough said: “Before I came to university I really struggled with my own identity. It was actually through the society last year and through the support from the university that I was able to accept my own identity.

“That’s not going to be an option for those students. It’s heartbreaking.”

Ms McCullough’s views were echoed by Craig Kirkwood, a Students Union Equality Counsellor at the university’s Coleraine campus.

He said: “Between the concerns for the rights of queer people, women, foreign workers, the presence of racism, suppression of press freedom and threats to local civil rights in general, the fact that Ulster feels it’s appropriate to set up a campus there is concerning.

“At Ulster here at home, queer people like myself are free and supported to be who we are without prejudice, but in Qatar that same right doesn’t exist, if someone is open about their sexuality there, they face fines, prison, the social stigma that exists, and possible execution.

“There’s no recognition of marriages, no anti-discrimination laws, the only way to remain safe is to remain closeted which we shouldn’t have to do.”

However, he expressed hope that the campus might inspire societal change: “There can be benefits to a campus at advancing progressive rights, UU says that queer rights are central to the university.”

Patrick Corrigan from Amnesty International said: “We would expect Ulster University to set out how it will protect the rights of construction workers who are building its campus, and the cleaners, cooks and security staff who will work there, given the well-documented exploitation of migrant workers in Qatar.

“As a university committed to academic freedom, we need to know how it will safeguard the freedom of expression and academic freedom of its staff and students in Qatar, including those from the LGBTQ+ community.”

Mr Corrigan said he expects UU to publish “comprehensive human rights impact assessments to ensure that it won’t be contributing to human rights violations”.

He added: “Ulster University is a registered charity with a public benefit purpose and is in receipt of millions in public funds. People have a right to expect that it’s not profiting from or contributing to human rights violations.”

The UU spokesperson said that many UK universities were involved in “active partnerships across the Middle East” and would be delivering a leadership programme for women.

They added: “Ulster University believes that education is a route for societal growth, facilitating improved global access to higher education and the positive social outcomes that come from that.

“LGBT+ rights are central to Ulster University’s commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion, including through an active LGBT+ staff network that champions equality for all, regardless of gender or sexuality.”