BBC SPOTY Trophy
Wikimedia Commons/ Parrot of Doom

Sports Personality of the Year 2022 contenders

There was a shortlist of six contenders for the 2022 BBC Sports Personality of the Year award. Gymnast Jessica Gadirova, footballer Beth Mead, curling’s Eve Muirhead, snooker’s Ronnie O’Sullivan, cricketer Ben Stokes and athlete Jake Wightman making the shortlist. Here’s a rundown of the contenders.

Jessica Gadirova
The 18-year-old gymnast had a superb year, building off her Olympic success in 2021. She retained her European floor title at the European Championships, alongside a team silver. She then headed to the world championships, winning three medals – a silver in the floor team event and a bronze in the all-around competition, which was Britain’s first medal in the discipline. She then became the first British athlete in history to win an individual world title in artistic gymnastics. Gadirova was also in the running for Young Sports Personality of the Year.

Beth Mead
Mead won the Golden Boot and was named player of the tournament as the Lionesses won Euro 2022. The team lifted their first trophy at a major women’s tournament after a 2-1 victory over Germany, with Mead scoring six goals and adding five assists. Her international tally for the season of 20 goals was also a new England record. Mead went into the evening as the bookmaker’s favourite.

Eve Muirhead
Muirhead led Britain’s curling team to gold at the Winter Olympics in Beijing, edging past Sweden and then storming to a final win over Japan. She completed her collection of major titles with a gold at the World Mixed Doubles Championship, with Bobby Lammie, before announcing her retirement. Her Olympic success adds to her Olympic medal tally after she became the youngest skip to win an Olympic medal with a team bronze in 2014.

Usain Bolt was awarded the Lifetime Achievement award… Lionel Messi was presented with the World Sport Star of the Year

Ronnie O’Sullivan
O’Sullivan equalled Stephen Hendry’s record of seven World Championship titles this year, defeating Judd Trump 18-13, and becoming the oldest winner in the process (at 46). It was a 39th ranking title, and he extended his winning streak with success at the Champion of Champions and the inaugural Hong King Masters. He is currently ranked as world number one in the sport and was previously nominated for SPOTY in 2020.

Ben Stokes
2022 has been a successful year for the cricketer. He guided England to the T20 World Cup, defeating Pakistan under intense pressure in a thrilling final. He has overseen three Test series victories since being appointed captain in April, transforming a side with one win in their last 17 Tests into a winning force – Stokes’ England claimed nine victories from 10 games against New Zealand, India, South Africa and Pakistan. Stokes won the SPOTY title in 2019 after leading England to a Cricket World Cup victory for the first time.

Jake Wightman
Wightman produced a stunning run to win 1,500m gold at the World Championships, becoming the first British man to win the world title in the event since Steve Cram in 1983. The run was spectacular, enhanced even further, as he was called home by his father Geoff, who was the stadium announcer. He also added to his medal collection with 800m silver at the European Championships and 1,500m bronze at the Commonwealth Games.

Other awards
Other awards that were announced include Young Sports Personality of the Year, Team and Coach of the Year, Unsung Hero, and the Helen Rollason Award. Usain Bolt was awarded the Lifetime Achievement award for his sprinting success, having won eight Olympic gold medals. Lionel Messi was presented with the World Sport Star of the Year after Argentina’s success in the World Cup.