Mark Williams
Image: Wikimedia Commons/DerHexer

Mark Williams becomes oldest player to make 147

Mark Williams has become the oldest player to make a 147 break in tournament play. The feat came during his English Open quarter-final against Neil Robertson, and even though it was not enough to prevent a 5-3 defeat by the Australian, it is a historic accomplishment for the Welsh potter nonetheless.

It is only the third in Williams’ long career – the first came in a match against Robert Milkins at the 2005 World Championship, and his second at a minor event in 2010. It is also the seventh of the season, and the 183rd in snooker history.

There is no prize specifically for a 147 break, but Williams will win the tournament high-break prize of £5,000 unless some equals the total.

The maximum is all the more impressive given the fact that the Welshman was essentially shut out of the opening three frames. Robertson made runs of 73, 97 and 100 to open up a 3-0 lead – Williams only contributed 17 points in total at that point. But then, after he found a mid-range red, he set about compiling the historic break, and he made it look easy – he was never really out of position, and only a slightly awkward shot with the red looked to be an obstacle on the way to 147.

I have not given enough care to playing containing safeties – I have made it too easy for my opponent

– Neil Robertson

Robertson produced another break of 102 to make it 4-1, but Williams fought back, making a century break of his own to reduce his arrears to 4-3. He hoped to force a decider, but Robertson made a 127 to secure his place in the semi-finals – it was a fitting way to end a match featuring some top-quality snooker, with the audience showing their appreciation and the commentators applauding the high standard.

After the match, Robertson said: “It was a brilliant match and capped off by Mark’s 147. It was an amazing break, nearly perfect all the way. This will be my third semi-final in the Home Nations this season, and in the other two I have not given enough care to playing containing safeties. I have made it too easy for my opponent.

“Today my safety was a lot better. When I played Joe O’Connor in Scotland, I gave him five or six easy starters. He stood up to the pressure really well, but he should never have had those chances. I know what the recipe is now, for the rest of the season. If I can give safety that extra attention and care, to go along with the long potting and heavy scoring, hopefully I’ll see similar success to last season.”

As a result of the victory, Robertson set up a semi-final clash with Mark Selby, who defeated Ali Carter 5-3 to advance. The other semi-final will see Luca Brecel face season form-man Mark Allen.