Snooker Balls

Eighth snooker player suspended during match-fixing investigation

Chen Zifan has become the eighth Chinese player to be suspended from the World Snooker Tour (WST) as part of the ongoing investigation into match-fixing.

The world number 93 has been sanctioned by the World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association (WPBSA), and the suspension will take effect immediately, remaining in place until the investigation is concluded. Chen has the right to appeal against the decision.

A statement issued by the WPBSA on 23 December reads: “WPBSA Chairman Jason Ferguson has taken the decision to suspend Chen Zifan from attending or competing on the World Snooker Tour with immediate effect

“This decision is part of an ongoing investigation into allegations of manipulating the outcome of matches for betting purposes in breach of the WPBSA Conduct Regulations.

“The suspension will remain in place until the conclusion of the investigation or any subsequent charges that may or may not be brought. Chen Zifan has the right to appeal this decision.

“No further comment will be made except in the event of any significant further developments.”

Expose it, get it out there, deal with it, and we can move on with the professional sport that we’ve got

– Jason Ferguson

The former English Open champion Liang Wenbo was suspended by snooker chiefs in October, and the suspension of five other players – Lu Ning, Li Hang, Zhao Jianbo, Bai Langning, and Chang Bingya – swiftly followed. In December, former Masters champion Yan Bingtao became the most high-profile player to be embroiled in the scandal when he too was suspended as part of the investigation, in what Jimmy White called “a really bad day for snooker”.

Ferguson previously said that any player who thought they could get away with match-fixing was “completely foolish”.

Speaking to Eurosport, he said: “We’re a long way down the road with this investigation. We’re constantly monitoring markets and everything else. We know what’s going on. And if any player thinks they can get away with [match-fixing], by the way, they’re completely foolish because we can find it easily.

“It won’t take as long as you think – I think we are quite well down the road.

“It is not a good look for us, but we are a sport that chooses to deal with it. We are a sport that chooses to put it out in the public domain. We will not have it talked about behind the scenes.

“Expose it, get it out there, deal with it, and we can move on with the professional sport that we’ve got.”