Image: JThomas/Geograph

Car crashes into Dundee University classroom

A car has crashed into the side of a university building in Dundee.

At around 13:00 on Tuesday 6 December, the vehicle hit the wall of the University of Dundee’s Dalhousie building.

No-one was injured in the incident, including the driver, and it was later confirmed that the classroom was empty at the time of the collision.

Images shared on social media showed the yellow vehicle almost fully inside the building, surrounded by debris, while photos of the classroom interior depicted a number of desks and chairs damaged.

The crash was attended to by both the Scottish Police and the Scottish Fire and Rescue Services (SFRS), who sent six engines to the scene.

The driver was issued with a Fixed Penalty Notice as a result of the crash.

In a statement on Twitter, the university said: “There has been an incident at the Dalhousie Building where a car has collided with a wall. Students and staff are advised to avoid the area as emergency services attend to the incident.

“We have no initial reports of any injuries and there is no reason to be alarmed.”

In a follow-up tweet, the institution confirmed that individuals would be allowed back into the building once the area had been cleared.

The car was towed away shortly after 15:00, and the building remained closed for the rest of Tuesday. Affected classes were moved to different rooms.

A Police Scotland spokesman said: “Around 1pm on Tuesday 6 December 2022, police received a report of a car crashing into a building in the Park Wynd area of Dundee. There were no reported injuries and recovery was arranged. The driver was issued with a Fixed Penalty Notice.”

A spokesperson for the SFRS said: “We were alerted at 1.03pm on Tuesday, December 6 to reports of a collision involving a car with a building at Old Hawkhill, Dundee.

“Operations Control mobilised six fire appliances, one height vehicle and specialist resources to the scene.

“Firefighters made the area safe and there were no reported casualties.”