Train travel is free in Spain until the end of the year

The cost-of-living crisis and the surging cost of inflation are hitting people around the world, and governments are now figuring out how best to respond and to help people. One solution, proposed by the Spanish government, is to make a significant portion of its public transit network completely free. On selected lines, there is a 100% discount on tickets, an initiative that the government introduced in the hope of promoting cleaner transportation and helping its citizens reduce fuel consumption as energy prices continue to soar. It has broadly been welcomed, although the scheme has also faced criticism for some of its limitations. 

The measure is mainly aimed at Spanish season ticket holders, although it is theoretically possible that tourists could use it if they bought multi-journey tickets

How exactly does the proposal work? All commuter trains and mid-distance regional lines covering journeys of less than 300km, and specifically ones run by the national rail operator Renfe, are free between 1 September and 31 December this year. This discount is only available on multi-trip tickets, not single fares, something that greatly benefits suburban rail users (particularly those living around Madrid and Barcelona, which account for around 80% of this passenger type). It will be funded by a windfall tax — expected to generate around €7 billion in two years — on banks and energy companies, which have profited from interest rate rises and surging energy prices. 

The measure is mainly aimed at Spanish season ticket holders, although it is theoretically possible that tourists could use it if they bought multi-journey tickets. The announcement also comes after a policy was announced this summer, in which the central government agreed to a 30% discount on all forms of municipal public transport, including metros, buses and trams. In certain areas, including Catalonia, this discount will be increased to 50% or 60% via funding from the regional government. 

In a statement, the Spanish Ministry of Transport said: “This measure encourages using public transport to guarantee a safe, reliable, comfortable, economic and sustainable means of doing the daily commute amid the extraordinary increase of energy and fuel prices.” This was echoed by prime minister Pedro Sánchez, who said: “I’d like the people of Spain to know that I’m fully aware of the daily difficulties that most people have. I know salaries cover less and less and that it’s difficult to get to the end of the month. I am going to work my skin to the bone to defend the working class of this country.” 

There are, however, some limitations to the scheme. Any non-Renfe trains are not covered by the discount, nor are long-distance journeys. The focus on regional and suburban rail services benefits people who live in places that have them, but this is not true across Spain – Galicia is one such example. As a result, there are implicitly limitations in where you can travel with the scheme. It is technically possible to travel across Spain using only regional trains, but the journey is long and difficult because these existing networks are not as extensive as in other European countries.

Other European nations have pioneered similar schemes, and they’ve also proven effective

It is apparent that the move is motivated by dealing with a cost-of-living crisis that is hitting Spain particularly hard, but that won’t change how broadly welcome the move is. Other European nations have pioneered similar schemes, and they’ve also proven effective. In May, Germany’s national rail company Deutsche Bahn launched a €9-a-month ticket scheme running from June until the end of August, valid on all public transport services and any local or regional routes. Elsewhere, demand for Austria’s ‘Klimaticket’, offering an annual travel pass to go anywhere at €1,095, almost crashed the ticket’s website. 

If cars become too expensive to run, or if leaders want to pursue a green policy linked to public transport, they face difficulties – they need to make public transport viable travel alternatives, affordable as standard, and part of the public’s travel habits. This scheme by Spain may be one way of doing that, so observers are looking to see if it proves successful.