Sheffield Hallum University buildings as viewed from railway station
Image Credit: David White/Unsplash

Sheffield Hallam University to open new London campus

Sheffield Hallam University is to open a satellite London student campus.

The institution will offer courses to up to 5,000 students at the new campus by 2030, to be located at the Brent Cross Town development in north-west London.

The project will also include the construction of homes and offices supporting around 50,000, which will be linked to central London by a new railway station.

It is expected to open for the start of the 2025/26 academic year and will offer courses in subjects that have local demand including health and wellbeing, business, finance, management, digital, and technological skills.

Vice-chancellor Professor Sir Chris Husbands said the site would create new opportunities and raise the profile of both the university and the city of Sheffield.

He said: “Sheffield Hallam is and always will be a university proudly rooted in South Yorkshire, with a long tradition of playing an active civic role.

“We are committed to making our region an even better place for all the communities we serve, which the ongoing major redevelopment of our Sheffield City Centre campus, and our commitments within our Civic University Agreement, clearly demonstrate.

“But we are also a university committed to engaging nationally and globally, and to raising the profile and impact of the city and the region more widely. This new development will create new opportunities for the university community, as well as for local and regional partners.”

The mayors of areas encompassing the two cities also expressed their delight at the news of the new campus.

Sadiq Khan, Mayor of London, commented: “I am delighted that Sheffield Hallam University will be opening its first satellite campus in Brent Cross Town, bringing a world-class educational hub, employment opportunities, and new housing to the area.”

Oliver Coppard, South Yorkshire Mayor, said: “This is really exciting news for both Sheffield Hallam and our region. A Sheffield Hallam campus in London will extend not only the university’s but South Yorkshire’s reach and reputation.

“It will enable new connections and relationships with business, industry, and public services, as well as exciting new opportunities for students and research. Like the rest of South Yorkshire, Sheffield Hallam University has ambitious plans for the future. I look forward to working with and supporting Sheffield Hallam as they move forward with this exciting project.”