Image: The Boar

Pret to stop their subscription service at University of Warwick site

Pret have announced to its regular customers that they will no longer be able to make use of the Pret Coffee Subscription at their University of Warwick shop.

This change will come into effect on 2 January 2023, when students return to campus after the winter holidays.

The removal of this service has caused a significant uproar amongst many students, although it is also unsurprising, following the degree of criticism the chain coffee shop has received over the subscription’s effect on the general quality of service.

In contact with their customers, the Pret team remarked that this was a “difficult decision” and that it was a necessary change for them to continue providing their customers “with the great Pret experience you expect when visiting our shop.”

As compensation, current subscribers have been given the opportunity of 50% off any hot drink between 2 January and 31 January.

One student has remarked that the removal of subscriptions will “help me combat my caffeine addiction”.

However, an Instagram account, @warwickpretaction, has been set up in order to encourage students to use Pret’s contact service to complain about the change.

It is unclear as to whether only the University of Warwick site is subject to this change, but the Exeter University shop has been excluded previously.

• Michael Fassbender

pret is a laughing stock

• frustrating. this was a great motivation to come on campus and stay in the library studying.

• Pret have ripped-off customers with the subscription since it started in Sep. 2020. Staff are burnt out, many left, and many customers stopped going. I write via expret.org on Pret having survived this toxic company. The BBC wrote about the subscription after they found my blog: Pret customers complain over drink subscription deal
    https://www.bbc.com/news/business-59634846

• Yep, that sounds like the Pret I know with all their rip-off and lies. After seeing my blog on this, the BBC did a report on the ice drinks Pret refused to make on the sub despite advertising it.

• i am distraught

• First the car park charges, then coffee. Warwick doesn’t care about their students and are trying to financial ruin us.

• A complete and utter joke. Pret is a rip off and this has only underlined this fact.